“SAFE Z” and “Run From Here” bugs to check?

If you think you've found a bug post it here.

“SAFE Z” and “Run From Here” bugs to check?

Postby paso » Mon May 10, 2021 6:28 pm

Hello I would like to report two probable bugs that I found in version 1.2113

1 - the value set in configuration in the “Safe Z Height” parameter seems to work
as a value relating to the active offset and not as an absolute value of the machine coordinate.
The problem can be detected both by activating the "SAFE Z" button in "MAIN" and by activating the procedure
"RUN FROM HERE"

2- The “RUN FROM HERE” function gives this message
“The subroutine return address stack variable is empty. There is no return address. The
code execution will be aborted now! "
The CNC gives this message when the initial line requested in the "RUN FROM HERE" procedure is within a subroutine.

Thanks for your attention, I hope to be useful to improve the product in case the bugs are confirmed.
paso

Re: “SAFE Z” and “Run From Here” bugs to check?

Postby cncdrive » Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 pm

Non of these are bugs.
The SafeZ was always a coordinate in the offset coordinate system.
It might be a problem in some cases though, so it is planned that we will make an option to make it selectable to be in machine coords or in offset coords.

If you stopping a g-code program in a subroutine then the subroutine stack gets cleared on the stop action and because the subroutine could get called from anywhere from the main program therefor on the next cycle start the software will not know where to return on the M99, because the stack is empty, there is no stored return address.
This is not a bug it is ment to work this way.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby johnsattuk » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:42 pm

I am running 2115 on AXBB-E

I like and use "Run from here" occasionally but find it's actions unsafe.

Choose a Line > "run from here" > Cycle start
> Z goes to safe height -- :D
>X,Y goto line coords -- :D
Z plunges to Z line coords and waits for another Cycle start :shock: The spindle may or may not be running, may have plunged into uncut stock and waits until you Cycle start again.

Not a sensible sequence :roll:
johnsattuk

Postby cncdrive » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:48 pm

There is an option (checkbox) on the Run from here screen to start the spindle or not.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby johnsattuk » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:47 pm

Whether you start the spindle or not doesn't change the behaviour of the Z axis plunging into the workpiece
It is the action of the Z axis which is dangerous and unecessary, why does does it pause and wait for a second "cycle start" in the down position, jamming into the workpiece or leaving witness marking in the stationary position.
Without the second required "cycle start" it would be the same as starting normally
johnsattuk

Postby cncdrive » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:00 am

The Run from here checks your g-code file, it checks the position prior to the selected g-code line and move the XYZ axis there with first moving the Z axis up to safeZ, then moving the XYAXB to position and then moving the Z axis to it's position.
Since you selected a line to run from, it is assumed that you want to continue your work from there because the previous lines of g-codes were already executed and done and so the XYZABC axes porition should be like that when you starting to run from that line. Therefor normally the machine does not plunge into the workpiece because that part of the workpiece is already machined.
Ofcourse you can cancel those movements, the screen exactly shows you where the axes will move before any movement happens and if you think it is not what you want and need then just cancel them.
And you can do any other movements yourself manually via MDI or jogging etc.prior to cycle starting after a run from here command if you think that those movements are not what you want the machine to do prior to continuing the job from the selected line.
So, I think you just didn't understand the concept of the Run from here function.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby johnsattuk » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:43 am

I have a mill with Planet software and a router with Eslcam software, both have run from here capability.
Both of these work perfectly OK without a stationary pause at the wrong time,

" it is assumed that you want to continue your work from there because the previous lines of g-codes were already executed"

Sometimes I just want to cut part of a program, can be quite handy , why not, surely "Run from here" should be usable for this.
If uccnc paused for a second "Cycle start" before plunging it would be OK, it is not OK that it plunges and waits.
So, I think you just don't understand the concept of " Run from here" function.
johnsattuk

Postby cncdrive » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:17 am

I understand how it works, I wrote it. :)
This is how it works for 6-7 years now, nobody had any problems with it so far.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby johnsattuk » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:18 pm

I do understand how it works, just watch the screen :D
I don't understand why you would program a plunge into a workpiece and stay there waiting for a "Cycle srart", not logical or safe. It is not what happens when a "Cycle start" is used at a program from the beggining. :o
If you want a second "Cycle start" do it before the plunge or remove it
johnsattuk

Postby Vmax549 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:22 pm

You are not suppose to blindly dive into a RFH. YOU as the operator are required to KNOW where the machine is going to make the first point of contact on the restart. It will always be the position of the line just before the requested line. Also the RFH panel tells you that as well and gives you the option to start the spindle . IF you have any dought as to if it is safe to go there you should jog there ahead of time to see IF it is safe to do so. MOST of the time on a restart I lower the FRO to a point where the machine will barely move and let it creep into position. That gives you a chance to decide if it is safe before contact. The last cycle start move is just another last chance to NOT proceed with the restart.

Comparing the CycleStart at the beginning of a program to RFH is apples and oranges . But even then at the beginning you had BETTER know where the first point of contact is going to be (;-)

Just a thought, (;-) TP
Vmax549

Next

Return to Report a bug