Backlash compensation not working in z-axis, AXXB-E controll

If you think you've found a bug post it here.

Backlash compensation not working in z-axis, AXXB-E controll

Postby mholm » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:58 pm

Hi

Backlash compensation does not work properly on z-axis in my setup. It tries to compensate wile I'm jogging in 0.01mm increments in the same direction. Jogging the z-axis work like it should when backlash compensation is disabled in settings.

I have ruled out everything but the controller or software. I have swapped cables to run the z-axis motor plus hardware with the x-axis electronics, that works well with the x-axis backlash compensation enabled. I have run the z-axis drivers + cables from AXXB-E controllers x-axis pins and that works too with backlash compensation enabled in x-axis settings.

I have also tested with different versions of UCCNC.

The only thing I can think of is the software or the controller doing something weird with the z-axis. Attached is my profile file.

Regards

Mikael Holm
Attachments
Default.pro
(37.09 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
mholm

Re: Backlash compensation not working in z-axis, AXXB-E cont

Postby mholm » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:52 am

I have done some more testing and narrowed it down to the Steps/Unit. In my setup I must use 160, 320, 640, or 1280 depending on microstepping, to get the measurements right for z-axis. However something doesn’t like that ratio. If I adjust the steps/unit by +-20 the erratic backlash compensation behavior disappears.

On my x- and y-axis I use 400, 800, 1600 steps/unit depending on micro steps set at driver. That works perfectly without erratic movement when jogging and backlash compensation activated. However if I change x- or y-axis steps/unit to the same as z-axis (640 in this case) the erratic jogging behavior appears on these axis too.

Please help me solve this annoying behavior. I’m out of ideas what to try next.

Regards
Mikael Holm
mholm

Re: Backlash compensation not working in z-axis, AXXB-E cont

Postby dezsoe » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi Mikael,

Thanks for the detailed report. We will investigate it.
dezsoe

Return to Report a bug