Probing calibration issue

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Probing calibration issue

Postby Preso58 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:55 am

Hi, I have been using a 3D touch probe successfully using the plugin by Szentkereszty Csaba however I have noticed some discrepancies in the probed values on both the X and Y axes. I set up a 17mm ring gauge and probed the bore and the values shown for X were 15.6 and the value for Y was 18.15. I ran the same probe routine three times with the probe clocked at 0, 90 and 180 degrees and each time the values were within a narrow range of about .05mm. I have calibrated the tip of the probe with a DTI and the probe is in it's own dedicated collet chuck.
If I change the probe tip diameter in the software settings the returned values increase or decrease as you would expect but they are still showing the same discrepancy. if I turn the probe tip diameter override off the values are the same in X and Y but less the diameter of the probe tip (2mm).
I have calibrated my XYZ stepper motors and the axis moves are accurate as checked with 123 blocks and a dial indicator.
I have attached photos of the results from the probe routine and the plugin that I am using.
Any advice would be appreciated
( I have tried Probeit but I want to see if there is a simple fix for the other plugin first).
Regards,
Mark Presling
2-PXL_20231208_002314811.jpg
This is the plugin that I am using
1-PXL_20231207_231249492.MP.jpg
Results from 17mm ring gauge probe routine
Preso58

Re: Probing calibration issue

Postby Preso58 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:09 am

Problem Resolved.
I thought it was odd that the difference between the X and Y probed dimensions was almost 2mm which is the diameter of the probe tip. As it turned out, I didn't have the "Axis 2 Count Diameter" button turned on which meant that the diameter of the probe tip was not being added to the probed dimension. All is working correctly now and I have been able to return a dimension within .01mm consistently in both axes.
Please consider this post now closed.
Regards,
Mark Presling
Preso58

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software