Laser - UCCNC - Lightburn

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Laser - UCCNC - Lightburn

Postby George M » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:55 pm

I just completed installing a diode laser on my DIY CNC machine. I have the laser working as it should - (varying strength from 0 to 255). I also am using Lightburn when I have the laser mounted to my 3D printer. For a device I am using grbl. It burns correctly straight from Lightburn to the printer. However I cannot get a gcode file to work on UCCNC. Obviously since UCCNC uses M10 Qxx for its laser out put I figured I would have to change somethings in the gcode file, but nothing I try seems to work.

My question is for those that are using Lightburn, how are you getting the correct gcode to run on UCCNC? I have tried all versions of grbl. What is the secret?
Special device created in Lightburn?
Separate post processor?
Thank you
George M

DIY CNC Machine
UCCNC
UC300eth-LPT5
UCBB
George M

Re: Laser - UCCNC - Lightburn

Postby laki » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:45 pm

You will have to modify the g code
Instead of
marlin.png

insert this
uccnc.png
laki

Postby George M » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Have you found the Marlin device is the best starting point? I had read that it is too slow for some raster images.
Thank you
George M

DIY CNC Machine
UCCNC
UC300eth-LPT5
UCBB
George M

Postby laki » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Have you found the Marlin device is the best starting point? I had read that it is too slow for some raster images.

This may be the case when using a laser with a 3d printer directly from Lightburn.
I have an ender 3 pro 3d printer and that’s why I use marlin.

When you laser engrave on your cnc machine, it doesn't matter if you use a marlin or a grbl to generate code for UCCNC in Lightburn, you will definitely need to modify the g code to use a cnc machine that works with UCCNC.

If you do not want to modify the g code you can use the laser engrave plugin that comes with the installation of Uccnc.
laki

Postby George M » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:32 pm

Yes, when I use the laser on my 3D printer i use the grbl device and it works fine. However there are times I want to engrave on something larger that will fill on the printer (i.e. cutting boards), so I need to get it to work on my CNC machine also.

I asked about it on the lightburn forum and was told that they may come out with a generic gcode device, but it doesn't seem to be of high importance.
Thank you
George M

DIY CNC Machine
UCCNC
UC300eth-LPT5
UCBB
George M

Postby MikeC » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:56 am

I know this topic is a little old, but I wondered if you had any success? I have managed a reasonable amount of success using Lightburn and them modifyiong the files aftewards and would be interested to hear what strategies others are employing.
MikeC

Postby dezsoe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:56 pm

Could you collect some LightBurn generated g-code files in a zip and upload?
dezsoe

Postby MikeC » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:01 pm

Sure. I have attached a zip of a couple of files generated using Lightburn (with the grbl-M3 profile selected) and also the files after I have amended them to work with UCCNC and the changes I make to the file to get it working.
Attachments
Lightburn gcode.zip
(141.55 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
MikeC

Postby dezsoe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Thanks. I'll try to find out shomething useful. :)
dezsoe

Postby dezsoe » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:10 pm

I did some experiments, see attached. There is a minimum Q value (20) set so the laser won't fully turn off. Of course, it can be set. You can see the dark overhangs where the laser is powered low. Does it seem to be usable?

laser.png
Attachments
Lightburn gcode UCCNC min Q20.zip
(60.73 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
dezsoe

Next

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software