Spindle intermittently shutting off

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Re: Spindle intermittently shutting off

Postby ger21 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:43 pm

Yes. I'm not sure if there's even an Estop at all. I'm not familiar with how the C76 and it's plugin works, but your getting the Axis fault first, which may be causing everything to shut down.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby bhdavis » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:02 pm

ger21 wrote:Yes. I'm not sure if there's even an Estop at all. I'm not familiar with how the C76 and it's plugin works, but your getting the Axis fault first, which may be causing everything to shut down.

WOOHOO !!!! Got it !! I've been chasing this on and off for 2 weeks and it turned out to be my own dumb wiring mistake.

I had already chased all the major wiring and software components and finally got down to the FWD/STOP and SPEED circuit this morning. I started this test by seeing what would happen if I ran the spindle directly from the VFD touchpad but left all the wire connections between the VFD and C76 in place. The spindle still cut off. So then to see if the wiring was the problem I disconnected the data cables between the VFD and the C76. So the only connection between the VFD and the router was the spindle power cable. Well now.......for the first time since I initially made my spindle connections the spindle ran problem free. So finally a real lead to follow. Up to now nothing had given me any hint as to what might be causing the problem.

The next logical step then was to run the speed control from the VFD and FWD/STOP from the C76. Again the spindle ran problem free. That pretty much narrowed the problem down to the 0-10v circuit for spindle speed control. So I looked closely at the wire and connections and found I had reverse wired the pins for the 0-10v variable voltage output connector. The common from the VFD was on the 0-10v pin and vice versa. Wired backwards. Ugh !! Two weeks of aggravation for something I did myself. And the thing is that I had looked at this a few times along the way and kept seeing it as correct when it was actually backward.

So I switched the wires out and voila.........problem solved. What a relief.

Just an FYI on the error pane in UCCNC. It reads from bottom up instead of top down. If you watch the error messages appear (as I've spent way too much time doing over the past couple weeks) you see they scroll downwards. So the E-Stop error message actually appeared before the Axis Fault message.

As much as I will continue to complain about what I did to myself here in the long run it was a good exercise for learning about the system. I had never done any programming of the VFD so now know how that is done. I also finally completely understand the wiring connections between the VFD and the control. Not to mention what I've learned about setting up UCCNC as I've tried to see if I had something incorrectly set there.

Thanks for your help on this. Every little bit of info adds to finding the solution.

BH
bhdavis

Postby bhdavis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:55 am

Well after considerable contemplation I think I was wrong in my miswired assessment. I don't think the wires were reversed after all and the intermittent stopping returned a day or two later anyway. I say I don't think the wires were reversed because I don't believe the spindle would have run at all if that were the case, plus it is likely there would have been a UCCNC RESET occurrence due to sending a common signal to a positive terminal.

What I think was actually the problem were the spindle settings in the CONFIGURATION tab. I had a way too low minimum speed (PMW MINIMUM DUTY %) for one thing and the PMW FREQUENCY wasn't correctly set. Once I changed those the problem truly went away.

Thought I'd post that in case someone else comes along with the same issue.

BH
bhdavis

Postby Antonyart » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:16 am

@ bhdavis I know its kinda old but iv got the same problem and cant seem to find a solution whatever settings i have put... any settings info?
Antonyart

Postby bhdavis » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:21 am

I wish I could be more help. First it's been a long time and many other issues have come and gone in the interim. As such I can't say I have a real clear memory on the details other than what I said in that last post.

However I've attached the screen shots of my final CONFIGURATION screens. Beyond that I'd say to double check all your wiring connections although I'd imagine you've been through that repeatedly.

Lastly if all else fails, and you haven't already done so, do as I did and remove as many components as possible from the equation. Start with the spindle control direct from the inverter to see if something happened there to cause the problem.

Good luck,
BH
Attachments
UCCNC Screen shots.zip
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 105 times
bhdavis

Previous

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software