Spindle intermittently shutting off

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Spindle intermittently shutting off

Postby bhdavis » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:51 pm

This is a new build using CNCdrive drives and UCCNC. I have constructed the new control so that I can easily swap between the old, still functioning, original control box and the new one. The new box is running the servos and has all the axis limit switches connected and working. The servos are tuned to about 90% of where they need to be and a more experienced friend will come in and complete the tuning for me. The servos are doing a decent job of accurately moving the machine around though.

I recently did my wiring connections to activate the spindle with the new control box. All was working well for a few minutes and then the spindle turned off. This turned out to be a continuing intermittent problem. The spindle might turn off immediately after start up or might run for 5 minutes and then cut off. It runs perfectly fine on the old control box. So this is a problem with the new control as vs. with the spindle.

I have been told to make sure there is no cross over between the 120v AC power line grounding and the DC 5, 12 and 24 volt commons. I have yet to do this so that could be the problem. However I'm skeptical that I've made that mistake but will check it out.

This is on a woodworking 4x8 CNC with a Perske ~5hp spindle. It has a 220v single phase input inverter. As I said all works as it should with the old control. I have double checked my power on/off and speed control circuits and am confident they are wired correctly. Other than the intermittent cutout the spindle works as is should.........on and off with the UCCNC command button and speed controlled for UCCNC.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what else to look for? Fortunately this is not in crisis mode as it only takes about 5 minutes to swap between the old and new controls.

Thanks,
BH
bhdavis

Re: Spindle intermittently shutting off

Postby ger21 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:36 pm

How is the spindle being controlled, through your CNC4PC board?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby bhdavis » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:13 pm

ger21 wrote:How is the spindle being controlled, through your CNC4PC board?

Yes Gerry. One of the three relays on the C76 board is controlling the on/off. The speed is being controlled by the 0-10v connector right next to the relay.

Haven't forgotten about you. Just been side tracked to other things for a couple weeks. Hope to get back to the new control in the next few days.

BH
bhdavis

Postby ger21 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:52 am

I'm going to assume that UCCNC still shows the spindle as on, in which case, it's something to do with your board.

If UCCNC is showing the spindle off, then something would be telling it to turn the spindle off.
Gerry
ger21

Postby bhdavis » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:03 pm

ger21 wrote:I'm going to assume that UCCNC still shows the spindle as on, in which case, it's something to do with your board.

If UCCNC is showing the spindle off, then something would be telling it to turn the spindle off.

Jerry,

Spindle button goes to OFF.

Error message shows as seen in attached image.

Axis FAULT
External E-Stop Triggered

So could the triple "external E-Stop Triggered" have something to do with once for each axis? Although I don't even have an external E-stop connected. Just the E-stop that jumps the 2 E-stop terminals on the C76 is connected and for now that's a toggle switch so it is no different than jumping the two terminals.
Attachments
Image2.jpg
bhdavis

Postby bhdavis » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:56 pm

Better information. I couldn't find a way to edit the previous post so will repost it with changes.

Error message is:

Axis FAULT

with only ONE line saying External E-Stop Triggered, which comes up first, and then the Axis fault error is added. So the Axis Fault error occurs after the board has gone into RESET which is logical. So the problem is that the External E-Stop is being triggered by something.........except that I don't have an external E-Stop that I know of.

DIAGNOSTICS PAGE:
When the spindle cuts out the Estop light goes green and then turns back off. Also the red RESET light comes on as it should until I RESET the red reset button.

Tried a bunch of stuff like adding ferrite bead/chokes to the power lines with no improvement to the situation. Also confirmed there is NO continuity between any of my low voltage commons and the 120v AC ground which is of course connected to the main steel mounting board.

Next I'm going to try and run the VFD remotely so the board isn't starting it and see what happens. After that I'm just about out of ideas. I believe all my original data cables in the cable carriers are shielded. I never had this problem with the old controller so would think all old wiring should be sound.

Thanks,
BH
Attachments
Capture.PNG
bhdavis

Postby ger21 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:24 pm

The Axis fault message is coming from the C76 plugin, and I'm guessing the C76 may be sending the Estop error as well.
I think you're going to have to work with Arturo on these issues.

But it looks like the main issue is your drives are faulting for some reason? Which is causing UCCNC to stop. I don't think it has anything to do with the VFD, unless the VFD is causing noise on your encoder cables.
Gerry
ger21

Postby bhdavis » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:04 pm

ger21 wrote:The Axis fault message is coming from the C76 plugin, and I'm guessing the C76 may be sending the Estop error as well.
I think you're going to have to work with Arturo on these issues.

But it looks like the main issue is your drives are faulting for some reason? Which is causing UCCNC to stop. I don't think it has anything to do with the VFD, unless the VFD is causing noise on your encoder cables.

Jerry,

Yes, I am communicating with Arturo on this but not making much headway so looking for more ideas.

I don't think the drives are involved for a couple reasons. One is that I can run a file with the spindle OFF and it runs fine. Second is that other than the test file I just mentioned I am only turning on the spindle for these tests so there is no x,y or z motion at all. Just spindle on/off taking place. And it still trips out. Anywhere between immediately and a couple minutes into the run.

I also thought about VFD cable interference so just finished two more tests. One I ran the spindle from the VFD control pad so UCCNC was not involved in turning it on. The reset still tripped out. Then I ran a separate cable direct from the VFD to the spindle completely bypassing the cable in the cable carrier and Z-axis cable housing. The test cable ran about 5' through the air from the VFD directly to the spindle. UCCNC still tripped out.

I will also post a compilation list of everything I've done to try and chase this over the past couple weeks.

Thanks for thinking on the problem.

BH
bhdavis

Postby ger21 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:12 pm

Yes, but you are getting an axis fault message from the C76 plugin, and this is what's causing your spindle to stop. If it doesn't do it with the spindle off, then the VFD is probably causing the drive fault, as I said before.
Gerry
ger21

Postby bhdavis » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:54 pm

ger21 wrote:Yes, but you are getting an axis fault message from the C76 plugin, and this is what's causing your spindle to stop. If it doesn't do it with the spindle off, then the VFD is probably causing the drive fault, as I said before.

Gerry,

So your thinking is that the axis fault is causing the E-stop to trip as vs. the other way around. Correct?

Maybe making some headway. Working with the data cable from the VFD to the C76. It's beginning to look like that could be the root of the problem.

Thanks,
BH
bhdavis

Next

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software