Tool Height 101 for dummy(me)

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Tool Height 101 for dummy(me)

Postby jmm2020 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:47 pm

I am so sure everyone is really tired of this as there seems to be so many variations on this subject but here I am nonetheless.

I am using 1.2113 with default profile and an M6 macro posted here in this forum and attached below. I believe its one I have seen in several videos as well. I have edited the position to be relevant to my coords...

I have a pretty straight forward setup save perhaps an offset 3d probe I can remove quickly without inserting in the spindle. I have a simple offset for it for zeroing the XY and it's doing well. I have a Wildhorse 3D Probe 1 and a fixed tool height setter Probe 2 and both are functioning. I can center find a circle or rectangular stock, corner and set Z etc.

My goal is like so many others to simply home the machine, probe my stock top in XYZ with Probe 1 and then get a tool height with my fixed Tool Height Probe 2 and then execute tool changes and height adjustments.

I follow the excellent guidelines in this Daniel Collins https://youtu.be/ntNJ_5-ENUs video but I just can't duplicate the results. I end up with my z probed height after the tool change being considerably lower than my stock height.
I set the tool while testing slightly above the work and zero it, I set that as Reference As Current Work Piece and execute probe and it goes over to my preset tool height Probe 2 location and sets itself and then returns right back to where I started above the stock and at the height it started. I then execute a T6M6 command (Example) and it executes great and traverses to my Tool Height Probe 2 and goes through the process but it does not do an offset it simply resets the tool height to the height of the Probe 2 and when it returns to my stock its obviously not rendering the delta in height. I have tried all sorts of things but not getting it at this point.
Attachments
M6.txt
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
IMG_1815copy.jpg
jmm2020

Re: Tool Height 101 for dummy(me)

Postby jmm2020 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:17 pm

OK I got it...the thing is I'm not sure what really happened yet.
I switched Macro's after reading another post on the New Probing Screen with Dezsoe's posted M6 macro(attached) which I simply copied and pasted with my basic coord edits...I would still like some clarification on what constitutes a mobile probe and a Fixed probe as one of the issues seemed to be a Fixed probe may not in fact be a fixed probe.
I am still soooo grateful it knows where my top of stock is at last...this has been a days long sort it out exercise.
Attachments
M6.txt
(5.32 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
jmm2020

Re: Tool Height 101 for dummy(me)

Postby dezsoe » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:47 am

I don't think that I wrote this macro. (I don't remember.) The problem is that these macros are not using the probe screen and that is why you cannot use them. I hope I found the macro which is the original of that is used on the video. You have to set the tool change position in it.

M6_auto_probe.txt
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
dezsoe

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software