Adding Tool length Sensor AND 3D-Probe?

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Adding Tool length Sensor AND 3D-Probe?

Postby FerrumD » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:38 am

Hi,

I am in the process of getting my "new-to-me" CNC mill (G0704 Clone, retrofit CNC) ready for my needs...
And I would want to hook up BOTH:
- Tool Length Sensor
- 3D Probe

My System uses a UC400ETH that's connected over the Parallel to my machine's computer interface...
The machine's interface has an "extension" card, where all the accessories are connected to, like Limit switches, etc... and it has ONE SENSOR PORT...
The machine's documentation says that it can be used for a Tool Length Sensor OR a 3D Probe...

Can I just connect both to the same port??

from my understanding: essentially both devices are nothing but switches - the tool length sensor actually a pretty basic one, the 3D-Probe a more fancy switch with several contact points, but in the end nothing but a switch that's either "off or on"...
So if my theory isn't utter bs, it wouldn't matter how many of these things I connect to the one sensor port.... in the end, when say a probing routine is running, all it does is to way for a "signal" from any of the (directional) switches being activated...
Or am I totally mistaken here? and if yes, what would be the proper way to connect them...

just to avoid any confusion.. I'm talking about those:

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 07.35.34.png
tool length sensor

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 07.35.53.png
3D Probe

I don't have them yet - the tool length sensor should arrive this week, the 3D Probe within a fortnight.
But I'm trying to figure out if I need to get anything additionally to make it work.

here's a photo of the mentioned extension card in from my machine:
IMG_5800.jpeg
FerrumD

Return to Hardware