Retrofit of existing CNC with UC400ETH & UCBB

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Retrofit of existing CNC with UC400ETH & UCBB

Postby FerrumD » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:52 am

Hi

First, I'm new here - so if I posted this in the wrong section, let me know (or feel free to move it ;) )...

while back I had to replace an old old small CNC Vertical Mill - the old one was "industrial" but from the late 80ies... with a fagor 8025m controller that had it's fair share of errors.
The machine had it's own share of problems, which is why in the end I decided to put it up for sale... to me it was however my first foray into the world of CNC machining, having only done conventional machining for the past 20 years... and it was a great learning experience.
Well, as said I had replaced it (I run a very small shop, and the CNC has it's "niche" use for me - I don't need high end stuff)...
The machine I bought was a retrofitted G0704 clone (one of the many) nicely done, and working well... and the price was low enough that I didn't have to think twice, knowing there would be a few things I'd like to modify to make it suitable for my own needs.

One of the "issues" the machine has is that the controller-system it uses is frankly speaking dated - it was built after the SRS1X045 layout from "einfach-cnc.de"...
Again it works - but my issue is that it does run on a parallel port from a very dated computer (and on LinuxCNC - which isn't bad...).
One thing was clear: the old museum-grade PC needed to go, as it was pretty much done for on several fronts.
I had newer leftover pc lying around, but that had no Parallel port... after adding a PCI/E Parallel port card and spending the better part of two days getting it to work on a new install of Debian/LinuxCNC (it required a re-compiling of the drivers, fixing a broken make file (came so from the supplier...) and fighting for hours of actually ENABLING it and then getting the machine to work was a bit of a "special" time.
Adding to this - after hours of trying to get probe_basic (a nicer GUI for LinuxCNC) to actually run, with countless things amiss, I decided to throw in the towel... as much as I like tinkering with stuff, I'd rather get work done.

So I decided to go with CNCDrive stuff... and ordered a UC400ETH & UCBB, along with the license for UCCNC software.
yup... going to ditch linuxCNC for good.

anyhow - here's where I ran into a few question-marks along the way:

Initially I thought I'd only use the UC400ETH to serve as a go-between for the new computer (with an Ethernet interface) and the dated controller of the machine and it's parallel port...
But what I don't understand is this:
The machine has it's own controller (the SRS1X045) that connects to the stepper drivers, limit switches, etc...
So with the UC400ETH also being a motion controller - wouldn't this be sort of a weird issue????
I also ordered the UCBB along, thinking ahead that I may want to replace the entire control unit...

what is the best / working approach here:
1. Connect the UC400ETH to the existing machine controller??? (will this even run?) - this of course would be the least amount of work.
2. toss the SRS1X045 Controller and use the UC400ETH + UCBB to connect directly to the machine's Stepper Drivers, Limit Switches, etc...

I'm starting to think that the second option is favourable... but as I've never done any retrofit I hope to get some input here...

Thanks...
FerrumD

Re: Retrofit of existing CNC with UC400ETH & UCBB

Postby ger21 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:05 am

Without knowing what the SRS1X045 actually does, I'd say option 2 is the way to go.
If the SRS1X045 is really just a breakout board, and you know the pinouts for everything, option 1 **should** work.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby dezsoe » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:44 pm

Can you take a photo of the control box inside? The few information I could find about the SRS1X045 tells me that it's only a break out board, not a controller.
dezsoe

Postby FerrumD » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:30 pm

Thanks for the replies so far!

here are a couple of photos:

IMG_5794.jpeg

This is the ENTIRE controller...
it has two components:
the upper one is actually an extension module / breakout board.... that one has the connections for the limit switches, the relay switch to start/stop (M6) the spindle etc...

IMG_5799.jpeg

This is the actual "controller" - the weird part about it is this: unlike most systems I'm sort of familiar with, this one has INTEGRATED stepper motor drivers...

IMG_5800.jpeg

And this is the mentioned extension card / breakout board...

and following are the schematics for both:
photo_2023-04-03 15.28.57.jpeg

photo_2023-04-03 15.29.03.jpeg
Attachments
photo_2023-04-03 15.29.01.jpeg
FerrumD

Postby FerrumD » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:31 pm

ger21 wrote:Without knowing what the SRS1X045 actually does, I'd say option 2 is the way to go.
If the SRS1X045 is really just a breakout board, and you know the pinouts for everything, option 1 **should** work.

Thanks.... I figured that this might be the better option...

I've attached photos above...
FerrumD

Postby dezsoe » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:16 pm

Thanks. As far as I see you have a single parallel (printer) port, so you can use one of the ports on the UC400ETH to connect. These cards are not motion controllers, the UC400 will be the one there. The card that you call a controller is a 4-motor driver board. Because it was connected to a PC printer port you can directly connect it to the UC400 without the UCBB. (The UCBB is not the best for the UC400, because the UC400 has 2 "output" type ports, but one of the UCBB ports in "input" type. The difference is that pins 2 to 9 are outputs on the "output" type and inputs on the "input" type.)
dezsoe

Postby FerrumD » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:07 pm

dezsoe wrote:Thanks. As far as I see you have a single parallel (printer) port, so you can use one of the ports on the UC400ETH to connect. These cards are not motion controllers, the UC400 will be the one there. The card that you call a controller is a 4-motor driver board. Because it was connected to a PC printer port you can directly connect it to the UC400 without the UCBB. (The UCBB is not the best for the UC400, because the UC400 has 2 "output" type ports, but one of the UCBB ports in "input" type. The difference is that pins 2 to 9 are outputs on the "output" type and inputs on the "input" type.)

Thanks!

Quick question though:
you say thing I have is NOT a motion controller, but rather just a motor driver. I must say my understanding of the entire thing is say, "minimal" ...
But how would this have worked at all?
from my understanding somehow the system needs a sort of motion controller to interpret whatever signal is coming through the parallel port in the first place to then generate the step/dir signals for the stepper motors (Respectively the drivers)...
So if my "controller" lacks said motion controller how would it have worked in the past?
Thanks..
I just hope to gain a better understanding....

Also I actually get a set of proper stepper drivers tomorrow ...

would you think it would be a better option to re-make the entire control-unit?
I have all the parts to do it.
FerrumD

Postby FerrumD » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:15 pm

To Clarify:

and please correct me if I'm mistaken...

I have the UC400ETH, the UCBB breakout board... I'll have three good Stepper Drivers, Powersupplies, and enough wiring and things....
I have the limit switches already on the machine of course... and of course the stepper motors themselves.

So in essence I SHOULD ?? have everything I need to completely replace the "controller" that came with the machine?
correct?

thanks...
FerrumD

Postby dezsoe » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:06 pm

The step, dir and other signals came from the printer port and the motion controller was the PC. Using UCCNC and UCxxx motion controllers (and all other systems that are not using the printer port) these functions are separated: the motion controller gets the commands from the main program and generates the needed step/dir and other signals. (Very simplified.)

If it works don't fix it: if the current motors and drivers and all stuff works then just connect the UC400ETH and run the machine. If it has any problems or you've already decided to rebuild it then do it.
dezsoe

Postby FerrumD » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:00 pm

dezsoe wrote:The step, dir and other signals came from the printer port and the motion controller was the PC. Using UCCNC and UCxxx motion controllers (and all other systems that are not using the printer port) these functions are separated: the motion controller gets the commands from the main program and generates the needed step/dir and other signals. (Very simplified.)

If it works don't fix it: if the current motors and drivers and all stuff works then just connect the UC400ETH and run the machine. If it has any problems or you've already decided to rebuild it then do it.

Ok - thanks!

I've connected everything -and loaded the mach3 config xml that came with the machine.... (it used to run on mach3 before the previous owner swapped it for linuxCNC) and tried to run it - no movement...
made a support post in the support forum:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4357
FerrumD

Return to Hardware