The First Movements = More Questions...

This is the place to talk about and share things related to CNC plasma machines using UCCNC

The First Movements = More Questions...

Postby Mr.Hotwire » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:57 pm

Im very happy with my progress, Im making movements. Everything is homing and Im happy with that so far.

But the questions I am having are as follows :

1) MM vs IN... I'm in the great white north, so I am accustomed to using MM in my drawings and designs. SO.. My UCCNC installation was in MM. Meaning my Units are in MM. I have done the stepper calibrations, and I have not done any changes to the acceleration or velocity settings for each axis. My speeds.. are VERY SLOW. I BELIVE that i need to multiply my velocity and acceleration "Units per min" by 25.4 to convert my mm "Units per min" to match the inch per min equivalent... Am I right?

2) Axis Directions.. My Z Axis and Y/A Axis runs correctly. my X Axis runs counter to my keyboard inputs. Is this a direction pin or steps pin issue?

3) Z Axis 0/Probing (Floating head, NOT THC)... I cannot figure out how to set an offset. Is this the Safe Z setting?

4) SheetCam/MiniTHC ... Im using a MiniTHC along with floating head and Ohmic Sensor. I am also going to continue to use SheetCam as I am familiar with its use due to my previous experience with LinuxCNC/CandCNC. Is there a post that you can recommend for me to start with?
Mr.Hotwire

Re: The First Movements = More Questions...

Postby Mr.Hotwire » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:23 pm

1) It looks like I am on the right track about the conversion between MM and IN units and how it relates to feeds/speeds and travel. RIght now I have the Acceleration set to 35 and Velocity as 2000. It has been suggested that I change the Velocity to closer to 5000 to start with as a "Test" and move up from there until it stalls, then move back 10-15%. As for acceleration, slowly move up until Im comfortable with the ramp up and down for smooth moves.

2) Yup.. Its either or.. I should either change the direction pins on the driver, or choose active high or low in UCCNC.

3) I need to get all the bits and bobs together before I mess with the Z probing. Doing it half assed is only going to get me MORE in trouble when I start adding Ohmic Sensing and floating head switches...

4) Again, as above, Don't start adjusting things that will only need to be adjusted / modified later when your FINISHED with the hardware installations. More to follow on that as I am only waiting on an Ohmic Sensor.. DIY or bought? Neuron? Ebay? MiniTHC?
Mr.Hotwire

Return to CNC Plasma