Total novice, need help with software setup.

This is the place to talk about and share things related to CNC plasma machines using UCCNC

Total novice, need help with software setup.

Postby John Bewick » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:18 pm

Hi all. First let me say I am an OAP with very limited computer knowlege. Allright, I know how to do the basic things but the grey cells need gentle coercing these days so please bear with me if I keep asking questions. I have built my plasma table and I am using a AXBB controller with UCCNC and a torch float switch, was hoping to have a Price THC installed, but not available at the moment. I have Sheetcam installed on computer, and trying to set it up for the table. This is where I am completely stuck. UCCNC manual say nothing about plasma set up, and I just can't get my head around how the torch operation works. I don't currently have a plasma installed because I want to be sure I can master the set up before that investment, so I thought I can just use something in place of a torch to simulate it to check operation. Can someone please walk me through the various stages of Z axis set up, and how it works, in as plain and simple terms as possible. I have the UCCNC set up to being able to make the X and Y axis move with G0 commands. Also Sheetcam does not list UCCNC in the post processor list, so which one would I use. Trying to avoid crashing the machine before I start to cut anything.

Please help me .

John
John Bewick

Re: Total novice, need help with software setup.

Postby cncdrive » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi John,

MAch3 post processor in SheetCAM should be working fine with the UCCNC.
However UCCNC has extra functionalities like the THC inhibit function which is not absolutely required for operation, but it makes plasma THC control operation better and safer, so you might want to edit the SheetCAM post processor with making sheetCAM to add those macro calls into the proper places.
SheetCAM can add codes like macro calls into toolpath places of sharp corners, so you can make it to generate the g-code with telling the UCCNC to inhibit the THC Z control in those sharp corners. But the basic MAch3 post processor should work fine for start.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby John Bewick » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:27 am

Thanks for advice cncdrive. I am still confused as to how the Z axis operation works, I think I am just going to have to experiment and hope for the best.
John Bewick

Postby beefy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:17 pm

John,

sent you a PM.
beefy

wiring axbb-e with Proma THC 150

Postby cncrail » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:30 pm

Hi everyone, I just bought AXBB_E. I would like to know how to connect to which pins on the AXBB-E board the THC of the Proma. Thanks
Antonino Bortiglio
cncrail

Postby cncdrive » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:10 pm

The AXBB-E input pins are all freely configurable, so you can connect them to any inputs.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Blugreen » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 am

Hi.

I have this exact setup and am having issues getting the floating z axis to function.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Blugreen

Return to CNC Plasma