Probe 1 & Probe 2 Setting Up As Auto Touch Off & Floating Z

This is the place to talk about and share things related to CNC plasma machines using UCCNC

Probe 1 & Probe 2 Setting Up As Auto Touch Off & Floating Z

Postby The-Meerkat » Sun May 24, 2020 10:40 pm

On the I/O Setup screen in UCCNC I have the ability to setup two probes. This is an option for folks with a UC300ETH. I’m wondering if I can setup my ohmic auto touch off sensor on the first probe and my floating head switch on the other? That seems simpler than wiring them into two inputs an output Isolation Relay / Optoisolator as I’ve seen in other posts. Has anyone done this successfully? Is there a SheetCam post processor or macro available to do this?

All the best,

Scott Meer
The-Meerkat

Re: Probe 1 & Probe 2 Setting Up As Auto Touch Off & Floatin

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 25, 2020 7:00 am

You have 2 probe inputs on our ethernet motion controllers. Both work with the G31 code. Any of the 2 sensors triggers the same "probe" logic i nthe UCCNC. There is no need to switch anything, you can probe which sensor you want any time you want using the G31 g-code.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby The-Meerkat » Mon May 25, 2020 4:11 pm

Thanks CNCdrive, that’s exactly what I thought. So now I’m just looking for a UCCNC macro that uses only the two probe inputs to probe the ohmic sensor auto touch off, set the initial torch start height height and then is ready to do the same with the floating head switch if the ohmic fails. I’m studying up on writing that macro in c++. I’d be thrilled if someone out there already had a macro written that I could shamelessly borrow as my coding skills are in VBA 6.0 and 10 years rusty.
The-Meerkat

Postby The-Meerkat » Tue May 26, 2020 4:38 am

I’ve got another question. Let’s say I’ve got the ohmic sensor wired to input pin 5 and the floating Z on input pin 6. In Offsets, I then assign a tool offset of 0.15 inches to G58 and a tool offset of 1.2 inches in G59. Can I then go into the I/O Trigger screen and set input pin 5 to function 122 (Selects G58 offset) and set input pin 6 function to 123 (Selects G59 offset)? I’m hoping setting this up would result in a scenario where G31 in the post processor would cause cause the Z axis to lower until it triggers the ohmic touch-off sensor on pin 5, then run Offset G58 moving the Z axis up and set the torch start height To 0.15” above the material. If the ohmic sensor fails to activate, the Z axis would continue traveling downward until it trips the floating Z switch on Pin 6, run Offset G59 and set the torch height to the correct start point above the material. Before I try this and crash, how bad am I off here?
The-Meerkat

Return to CNC Plasma