ProbeIt for UCCNC

This is where you talk about Plugins. How they are made and how they work, show examples.

Re: ProbeIt for UCCNC

Postby eabrust » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:41 am

mglogue wrote:
I know that I am responding to a very old post, but I agree with Delco, it would be nice to be able to just start in metric mode or perhaps do my install in Metric mode so that probeit was always in metric mode -- basically allow the option to select Imperial or metric during the install process. I have tried changing it to Metric using the instructions I found in the manual but so far, I haven't been able to figure out what values are supposed to be set per section 5.3 of the manual:

You must ensure values are entered into all the "input‟ boxes on the forms, pertinent to
the routine you want to run. To ease this, you may now load "default‟ values for either
inch or mm from buttons on the "settings‟ page. After loading defaults, please look over
all values and adjust as appropriate for your use and machine.

I think that the "settings" page talked about here must be the "Probe Settings" page as it's the only one I see that has a button to set defaults ("Set Defaults INCH" and "Set Defaults MM") but when I click that button, I get a popup that says:

"During loading of settings XML: can't find control. After plugin loads, please hit save settings to update file to latest version"

I'm not sure what this is asking me to do or what "Control" it is looking for and I only have one version of probeit (version 2.300 running on UCCNC version 1.2116).

So, I have tried closing probeit and UCCNC, then restarting and then immediately hitting "Save Settings" from the top of the probeit screen, but that didn't seem to help, I still get the popup when I try to set defaults to MM. I also tried copying the ProbeIt-defaults-mm.xml file found in the C:\UCCNC\Plugins\ProbeIt\Settings\Defaults directory into the C:\UCCNC\Plugins\ProbeIt\Settings directory and renaming it ProbeIt.xml. That didn't seem to work either.

Probeit itself is working just fine (actually it's great) but it would be nice to have probeit setup correctly.

Hi Mglougue,

Thanks for your feedback. The intent of what you want is there already, the ability to setup some proper defaults in either in or mm. The default-in.xml and default-mm.xml are 'default' settings appropriate for the units, to be loaded by the buttons on setting page. The issue you're finding is the xml files packed in the last update are slightly out of format, in that the screen has changed slightly from those default files, that is what the 'can't find control' error is referring. SO when you load say the mm default xml, it updates most the settings untill the first text box that didn't match the xml, and then stops thereafter.

I'll look to make the setting loading a little more robust, or at least make sure the default.xml files are not 'out of date' for the next release. But for now, just entering a setting you want to update to, and saving the settings updates the xml file to be correct.

mglogue wrote:
By the way, I only use probeit to level PCBs so I am only using the AutoLevel functionality, which seems to work great, I would just prefer to have it be setup in Metric mode so any help would be appreciated.

I'm glad you are getting use of the Autolevel functionality, was a bit of work to add in, so I'm glad someone is using it :) There aren't to many settings required in the autoleveling forms for inputs, is this an area where you're having issues w/ mm vs inch settings? Once you've setup what you need, it saves what you had, correct?

Thanks for your input and feedback.

regards
Eric
CraftyCNC: Plugins for UCCNC (and other neat stuff): http://www.craftycnc.com/plugins-for-uccnc/
eabrust

Previous

Return to Plugins