Simple Tool Set Macro with fixed position

This is where you talk about Macros, show examples of your macro scripting and SHARE handy segments of script code as examples.

Simple Tool Set Macro with fixed position

Postby ckoppenaal » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:15 pm

I know this question probably comes up a million times but I am having trouble finding a simple tool setting macro. I have a tool setter set in a fixed position. I just want to hit the probe button and the machine moves to the probe and touches off. I have a fixed gantry machine so I only need it to move in the X axis. The probe is already in line with the fixed Y axis off the table. If anyone can help with this I would appreciate it. My machine is set up in inches. I would even be willing to pay someone to make me a macro if need be. thanks Chris
ckoppenaal

Re: Simple Tool Set Macro with fixed position

Postby dezsoe » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi Chris,

Which version of UCCNC do you use? And if 1.2108 or later then is the probe screen good for you?
dezsoe

Postby ckoppenaal » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:19 pm

I believe I am using 1.2111. I tried using the probe screen functions but it was confusing to me. I was hoping there was a way to just use the probe button on the main page or maybe I need to find a resource to better educate myself with the probe screen. I just started using UCCNC so my knowledge is limited.
ckoppenaal

Postby dezsoe » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:21 am

Hi Chris,

One more question: how do you set up the workpiece? Please, write the whole process of the machining.
dezsoe

Postby ckoppenaal » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:00 pm

I am just finishing up my first DIY build, so I dont really have a machining process yet. But what I imagine is I pick up XOYO with a edgefinder or a pointer,
I probe the tool and calculate the distance from the probe to my part zero and than offset that distance. I will post out each tool with a individual program so there will
not be any M6 call outs. Let me know if this is enough info. Thanks Chris
ckoppenaal

Postby dezsoe » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:32 pm

OK, sorry, I'm like Columbo: just one more thing... :) Do you home the machine on startup?
dezsoe

Postby ckoppenaal » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Yes I home the machine
ckoppenaal

Postby dezsoe » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:34 pm

OK, I wrote a nice long reply, but I cannot test it in demo mode. :) I want to run it step by step on a real machine before I post it, so I'll be back in about 3 hours.
dezsoe

Postby dezsoe » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm back. It was a good idea to test it first... :)

I have good and bad news. The good news is that you can do the whole job with the probe screen. The bad news is that you first need to update to 1.2113, because Manual probe mode was not implemented in 1.2111.

Setup: you have to do it once. Home the machine first!
    On the Probe / Setup page
      Set Safe Z just below the Z home position in machine coordinates. The machine will move in this height.
      Check Greater Z is safer in G17.
      Check Save mobile probe pos. on exit.
      Check Override probe dia. and set the diameter of your edge finder.
      For the first tests check Limit traverse speed and set feed rate. It will slow down the quick movements. When all works fine, you can uncheck this.
      Check Separate settings per mode.
    On Probe / Page 1
      Select Probe tool.
      Select Mobile probe.
      Move your machine above the tool probe, high enough for the longest tool.
      Press Set as mobile probe pos and confirm with Start probing.
      Set P1 to a negative value which is enough for the shortest tool to reach the probe. (Z will probe in negative.)
      Turn on Zero probed axes.
      Set Fine distance. (1 mm or equivalent in inches.)
      Set Fast feed and Fine feed. (100-200 and 25 in mm/min.)
    On Probe / Page 2
      Select outer corner.
      Select the corner you want to probe.
      Select X and Y for Axis 1 and 2.
      Set P1 and P2 distance as positive number (see the drawing on the button).
      Turn on Zero probed axes.
      Set Fine distance.
      Set Fast feed and Fine feed.
      Turn on Axis 1 count dia. and Axis 2 count dia.
      Turn on Manual probe mode. You will probe the edges manually.

Exit UCCNC and after UCCNC closed open your profile with a text editor. (E.g. Notepad, but not Word.) Find the following line (the numbers will not be the same):

Code: Select all
MobileProbePos=True,0,True,15,True,190,True,-25,False,0,False,0,False,0,-39.7,True,7.236

Change the 3rd True to False. This will tell the probe screen to move only in X and Z to the probe. You are ready with the setup.

Use these steps after you homed the machine
    Workpiece setup
      Select Outer corner.
      Move the edge finder to the corner of the workpiece.
      Press Start probing: the edge finder will move to the first side of the workpiece then informs you to touch the workpiece. If you touced press Start probing to continue. The edge finder will retract and return to the start position. Then the same will happen on the other side of the corner. X and Y will be zeroed to the corner counting with the diameter of the edge finder.
      Insert the tool which you need for the job.
      Select Probe tool.
      Touch the workpiece with the tool in Z then press Reference current as workpiece. The machine will go to probe the tool and save the offset for later use. (The machine will not move in Y, only X and Z.)
      Start the job.
    When you change to the next tool
      Just press Start probing (Probe tool is still selected!). The tool will be measured and Z will be set.
      Start the job.
dezsoe

Postby ckoppenaal » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Ok I will give that a try, When I update to 1.2113 can I bring my settings from 1.2111 over and if so what is the best way to do that?
ckoppenaal

Next

Return to Macros