C Axis will not enable

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

C Axis will not enable

Postby yagodajm » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 pm

I am trying to set up my C Axis to turn on and off my laser, but it will not enable. The box is checked, but i tried to calibrate it and it says" Please enable Axis first. All of my other Axis will enable. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Justin
yagodajm

Re: C Axis will not enable

Postby cncdrive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 pm

After checking the enable box you have to press the Apply settings button on the bottom of the page to make the setting valid, then you can calibrate the axis.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby yagodajm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:25 am

I did press the apply and save settings button. It still does the same thing. That did work for the B axis. It is only the C that will not take .
yagodajm

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:31 am

I have tested it with version 1.2045 and it works fine here.
If you will tell me what version you running with which motion controller then I will be happy to test that config too.
Also you can post your profile file here to let me test with that too.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby yagodajm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:41 am

I am currently running version 1.2037, I don't see anywhere on the UCCNC site to update to 1.2045. Attached is my profile file.
Attachments
justin.pro
(31.39 KiB) Downloaded 651 times
yagodajm

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:22 pm

OK, I've just tested with version 1.2037 and with your profile.
What I see is you using Gerry's 2017 screenet.
I do not have the latest version from Gerry, so I can't test with that screenset at the moment.
What I could do is I've changed the screenset to the Default one in your profile and then I enabled the C axis and Applied the settings and then Calibrate ... it works OK.

What I think is that the issue is screenset related, because the core software and default screen does not seems to have this problem, the C axis enables fine when using your settings.
Please ask Gerry to verify this issue in the screenset. Or I'm sure he will read this thread soon and will check it out for you.

And version 1.2045 is the latest development release it is not an official version yet, but we always using the latest dev. version for testing when possible,
because that version is what may become the next official release, so correcting any issues will happen in the latest dev. version.
Here is the forum thread with the UCCNC releases: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=240&start=40
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Which motion controller is he using?

I have 1.2036 installed on my PC here at work, with an older version of my screenset, and it seems to work fine here. I have a hidden screen with the actual UCCNC checkboxes on them, and the C axis is indeed being enabled.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi Gerry,

In the profile there is "UCdevicetype=UC300ETH_5LPT", this means that the last time he ran the software the controller was a UC300ETH-5LPT.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby yagodajm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Gerry,
I am using the UC300ETH 5LPT, I have tried it on both the default screen set and the 2017 screen set, in both cases I can not get the c axis to enable. I can get X,Y,Z,A and B to enable with no issues.

I am not sure what the problem is.

Thanks,
Justin
yagodajm

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:31 pm

OK, I found out what the problem is.
Previously I have tested with UC100 and later also accidentally with UC100 while I thought I've connected to a UC300ETH-5LPT, but I was not, and so is why I did not see the problem.
Because for the UC100 the pins setup in your profile for port 2. are not valid as the UC100 has one port only, so the issue did not show up when I ran the tests.

The reason for issue is that when the laser output is enabled then the C axis can't be enabled the same time, this is a limitation of the controllers at the moment.
This is because with the UC100 and UC300USB there is not enough bandwidth in the communication channel to throughput all these datas and so the C axis channel is used to throughput the laser datas and therefor they can't work together the same time.
With the UC400ETH and UC300ETH it works the same now as with the USB devices, because however there is enough bandwidth for these to use both the laser and the C-axis,
but currently this part of the code is unified for all controllers and so they work all the same in this regards.
We plan to later remove this limitation from the mentioned ethernet controllers, but this will probably only happen when we will rewrite the motion planner to support the S-curve profiling which will sure take several months.
So for now with all controllers with the UCCNC you can use upto:
- 5-axis + laser output.
or
- 6-axis without the laser output.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here