Is a low res screen possible?

If you created a new screenset and want to share it with others then please post it here. You can talk about screens here.

Is a low res screen possible?

Postby benny_ds » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:14 am

Hi guys

I bought the software couple of weeks ago but didntget around to installing it until yesterday.
Short version, my laptop is to old and cannot handle the resolution it needs. I get an error when starting the program.

So the question is, is it possible to make a screenset that will fit my resolution, or will it always give the same error on startup?

Thx.
benny_ds

Re: Is a low res screen possible?

Postby dezsoe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:13 am

Do you think that the resolution is the problem? What is the error message exactly?
dezsoe

Postby benny_ds » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:22 pm

Yes, positive.

I'll check for the exact message when I get home, but it says what the minimal required resolution is.
My laptop is old (13-14 years) and has a 1024x768 3:4 15" screen.
benny_ds

Postby dezsoe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:41 pm

The program runs perfectly on 1024x768. You may get an OpenGL version error on old computers. Check the error message again.

OpenGLError.png
OpenGLError.png (11.65 KiB) Viewed 26407 times
dezsoe

Postby cncdrive » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:57 pm

This error message is nothing to do with the screen resolution.
The textures resolution is an OpenGL property and the UCCNC requires at least 2048px image size storage support on the video card.
Basicly the OpenGL standard says that minimum 2048px images has to be supported, however there are some old and low end video cards which did not follow the standard and which support only 1024px.

The message can mean 2 different things:

1.) Your video card is really old and does not support OpenGL 1.3 or higher or it does not support 2048px or higher texture images storage.

OR

2.) You do not have the video card drivers installed. In this case Windows will install a default video card drivers which is likely far from the optimal and so Windows will not know how to call and use the OpenGL functions of the card, because the correct video card driver which let Windows know how to do that is not installed.

Unless your video card is over 16-17 years old then the 2nd point is more likely to be the issue and in this case you simply have to install the video card drivers supplied by the manufacturer of your video card and that will resolve the issue.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby CT63 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:57 pm

I continually get amazed at the fact people try to use old computers, graphics cards and OS software, in this case at least 14 years old - 2003 vintage - and expect to run 2017 software. Then complain when the software has problems. You can pickup a new PC with Windows 10 (or 7) for less than $250. Ebay has PC's for even less. :roll:
CT63

Postby andrewbishop66 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Just to defend benny It doesn't seem like a complaint to me just an enquiry on his issue and any possible solutions, after all, aren't we here to help if we can
So my suggestion as I had the same problem with a machine running windows 10 was to switch to a windows 7 driver for the graphics card which in my case solved the problem although windows reported this was an older driver than the one installed have a dig around for a different driver

Thanks Andrew
andrewbishop66

Postby benny_ds » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:02 am

Well after reading the message a bit more carefully I also realized that it's a driver problem, not a resolution problem. So I was a bit quick with this question.
Drivers are installed like they should be. So I guess it's just to old.

@ CT63

I'm constantly amazed by the fact that people assume they know someone from reading one post. If I have something available, I will use it. If it doesn't work I'll fix it or replace it. The laptop is very capable of handling this program. It is 2017 software, but not 2017 spec required. The games I used to play on it demanded a lot more power then this program.

I'll just use my ex-gaming computer (Ow, it's also from 2008 btw) wich sadly takes up alot more space then the laptop. Wih was the point in using the laptop in the first place.

Thx everyone for answering my question.
benny_ds

Postby A_Camera » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:30 pm

CT63 wrote:I continually get amazed at the fact people try to use old computers, graphics cards and OS software, in this case at least 14 years old - 2003 vintage - and expect to run 2017 software. Then complain when the software has problems. You can pickup a new PC with Windows 10 (or 7) for less than $250. Ebay has PC's for even less. :roll:

Yes. And some of them can buy or build a CNC for 2-3k USD (or even more) and save money on the PC. It is totally crazy in my opinion. On the other hand, as far as I know, the UCCNC is not as demanding as Mach3, so it should be fine with almost any PC, especially if it is W7 compatible.
A_Camera

Postby Battwell » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Annoying that all my old machines that were running mach3 fine don't run with uccnc. As I couldn't find graphic cards for them. Balaz told me about a good graphics checking program which I ran to find the problem.
Bought 7 refurb pcs quad core, windows 7 etc for £300 - eBay
As I run aspire etc on my Cnc machines I was amazed how much faster the new machines run !
So...yes it's definitely worth running a sensible spec pc.
Uc300eth on router and mill.
UK uccnc powered machine sales. https://cncrouter.uk/atc-cnc-routers.htm
Automateanything/duzzit cnc/mercury cnc
Battwell

Return to Custom Screensets