2017 Screenset released

If you created a new screenset and want to share it with others then please post it here. You can talk about screens here.

Re: 2017 Screenset released

Postby cncdrive » Thu May 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Gerry,

Earlier I also did not think the DTG is useful and later realised that it is implemented on most industrial controls.
And I've talked to a few guys who running industrial machines for living and about all of them used the DTG function when they setup the jobs on the machines.
It is especially useful when you send a movement via the MDI and the tool is near the workpiece or near a vise etc. and you moving towards it then you want to know how much the machine will move,
because you want to know if it will hit the vice or not. The guys who I talked with about the DTG all said that it is the most useful for this purpose.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:31 pm

I run Industrial routers, and have no use for it. :)
It's difficult to make everyone happy, but you must know that.

Great job on the new features, btw.

Quick question.
Are you guys working on rotary axis toolpath display, and rotary axis feedrate compensation?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby ger21 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 pm

alex_s wrote:Hello Ger21,

will you add the new DTG feature to the screenset ? ( maybe switchable with the actual DRO)

BR

Alex

My thought is to make the main DRO area into a tab group, with multiple DRO layouts to choose from. Any thoughts on this?
I need to find a way to fit more things on the main screen.
Gerry
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Thu May 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks Gerry. :)
Yes, that is so true, that it is impossible to make everybody happy, because there are things which is a must for some people and the same time it annoys others to death.

Currently we not working on the rotary axis support, but it is planned to be implemented, so we will work on it, I just can't tell you yet when exactly.
We are now at the end of one development cycle as moving from 1.2037 to 1.2038 contains lots of changes, especially the G51 and G68 support needed lots of code changes and implementing these were not as easy as it looks, so we will plan the new development cycle soon and then I will see the future development path better than I see it now.

BTW I think that before we will start working on ithe mentioned rotary axis support we should start a forum thread, a discussion about it, because we've never used this feature,
so however I have some ideas about how it should work, but probably there are lots of things which we would not think of for first,
so I think the best would be to make a discussion about how that function should be properly implemented and work.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Thu May 18, 2017 9:47 pm

My thought is to make the main DRO area into a tab group, with multiple DRO layouts to choose from. Any thoughts on this?

I think that's a good idea with the current and important things opening on the onload startup tab page and the secondary things, I mean the DROs which may be not important for all people placed on the second tab page. But it is just my opinion. Let's hear others'.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby CT63 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:09 pm

I would like to see DTG and overide displays in the DRO's as a selectable option, as a check box in the apperance page. While its a nice option, personally I don't need DTG or override indication.
CT63

Postby ger21 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:59 pm

I would like to see DTG and overide displays in the DRO's as a selectable option, as a check box in the apperance page.

That would need to be a UCCNC feature request. And I really don't think it's possible. I believe the way they are doing it now, is using 3 separate DRO's. And there's no way to turn them on or off. And there are also text labels to identify them.

I'm going to play around with the idea I had, where there would be multiple options available to the user. By simply choosing the option you want, and opening the editor and saving the screen, it would always default to your preferred orientation.

Unfortunately, it'll be a while before I have time to do it.
But I may be able to get an update out in the next week with the new appearance options. I have to move some things around, which turns into a several hour job.
Gerry
ger21

Postby alex_s » Fri May 19, 2017 4:04 pm

ger21 wrote:
alex_s wrote:Hello Ger21,

will you add the new DTG feature to the screenset ? ( maybe switchable with the actual DRO)

BR

Alex

Tabs would be nice, i use either DTG or the normal DRO but not both at once

cheers
alex_s

Postby Guenter_Schmied » Tue May 23, 2017 4:05 pm

I agree with that !
"I would like to see DTG and overide displays in the DRO's as a selectable option, as a check box in the apperance page."
(so I can disable it !)
DTG +overr. complicates for me too much the reading , one of the best things of UCCNC vs Mach, was the readability the clean design !
Now you are going backwads, the way Mach did, and is very confusing.
I think 90% of all users of UCCNC will never use DTG so I do not see any real need for it.
Please take this opinion in consideration, I say this with my 40 years experience in CNC machines in the aeronautics
field.
Best Regards
Guenther

by the way , B and C axis is also something that is not necessary for the normal user, default screen can be X Y Z A
and B and C axis also an option of the configuration, or a tab.
READABILITY, is the goal. keep the main screen simple.
Guenter_Schmied

Postby cncdrive » Wed May 24, 2017 10:13 pm

Building a generic GUI for a CNC controller is basicly a chain of compromises.
Some people find one thing very important while some others find the same thing useless, so it is impossible for us to meet everybody's and all expectations with a single GUI screen, but we trying to do the compromising with the best of our knowledge.

I personally do not think that the DTG is useless, but I understand if some people do.
I also don't think that those small DROs are too distracting, but again I understand if some people do.

We've tried to compromise with making those DROs small, but for those who need it it is at least available.

If you find them useless for your use then you can still enter the screen editor and select the DROs and press the delete key to remove them which probably takes about a minute to do.

And I also like the idea to create some sub tab pages for different DROs and I thought about this already, so if things will be getting overcomplicated on the GUI then we will also probably move that root.
cncdrive
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Screensets