Jog without backlash, machine WITH Backlash?

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Jog without backlash, machine WITH Backlash?

Postby Zed_UCCNC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:34 pm

I would like to know how to reliably jog to find the edge of my part with an edge finder WITHOUT backlash ( due to ongoing bug investigation ) but then engage backlash compansation WHILE MACHINING?

Can I simply:
1- Jog to the edge of the part, find the edge
2- Zero the DRO
3- Change screens and enable backlash compensation

When I enable compensation will the software know what was the previous direction of motion, and be able to determine whether or not to compensate on the next move after I enable compensation?

If I can't accurately find my edge and have backlash compensation while machining then the software is not useful to me.
Zed_UCCNC

Re: Jog without backlash, machine WITH Backlash?

Postby cncdrive » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:43 pm

I don't think that this problem causing you to not be able to find an edge, is it?
The issue you reported is that the other axis moves back and forth which should not influance your edge probing.

And you can enable and disable backlash compensation anytime you want.
You could even move to the edge from g-code motion movements (G1).
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Zed_UCCNC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:51 pm

cncdrive wrote:I don't think that this problem causing you to not be able to find an edge, is it?

My question is not about finding an edge.
it is about If or when to enable backlash?
(A new video ( I will post in original bug thread soon) showing jog of .0001" ( with backlash enabled), shows axis rotation in BOTH directions. So I think Jogging with backlash enabled is not reliable.)

So for my question in this thread: If for example I jog to an edge( no backlash compensation), moving ONLY in (-)ve direction, and Zero. Then, If I immediately go and enable backlash, WILL THE SOFTWARE KNOW TO COMPENSATE BACKLASH IF I MOVE IN (+)ve X?
Zed_UCCNC

Postby cncdrive » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:29 pm

That's a good question. I'm not sure about what state (which side of the compensation) the controller takes when enabling the backlash.
I will ask my API developer collegue who knows the answer to this question.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Ask a question from support here