Burned DG4S drivers by HDBB board!!

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Burned DG4S drivers by HDBB board!!

Postby antomost » Fri May 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi,

I connect the alalog output of HDBB board to the spindle controller and had a strange responce so i decide to connet also the ground of the ouput to the ground of the controller. this causing a short circuit?!!? and i disconnect it. From that time, no led inducation on the drivers?! i check the 12volts provided by HDBB and was ok.
The ethernet controler and HBDD looks fine except the drivers.. i remove one of them and provide 12 volts from another resource but nothing hapened.. i also try to feed it by 5 volts on pin 4 without result.. i notice that on 5V should be a short circuit because i restrict the ouput current of my power supply to 0.5amps before power it up and shortage indicated.

Any advice? how this can be happened?
antomost

Re: Burned DG4S drivers by HDBB board!!

Postby cncdrive » Fri May 15, 2020 11:03 pm

The HDBB2 board does nothing with the 12V power, it only has a 12V input and the same is wired out to a 12V output, so it cannot burn the drives, something else had to happen if they burnt.
If the drive is OK then it should show somekind of LEDs activity if you give them 12Volts through the pins 7 and 8 of the main RJ45 connector.
If it shows no LED activity when it gets th2 12V power then something is damaged in the drive's logic part.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby antomost » Sat May 16, 2020 6:56 am

You are right! the processors are burned on all drives... i can't figure out why.. something on grounding maybe? a spike from speed controler??
The point now is that i am sceared on who easily the drives burned.. i have to spend some money there and will be on risk... any chance to be repaired?
antomost

Postby Derek » Sat May 16, 2020 9:45 am

Just to reinforce this I have been running these drives for years. Like every day and some 3D contour runs are days. I have 14 DG4S drives and 4 HDBB boards in service and have never had any issues like this. I had one problem with one drive that was my fault and repairable. And believe me my wiring jobs have not always been amazing. I'm pointing this out so that you don't fall into the hardware is junk trap and look in the wrong place. These are robust pieces for sure.
Derek

Postby cncdrive » Sat May 16, 2020 10:16 am

There is an internal switching regulator inside the drive which makes 5Volts from the 12Volts.
Also there are capacitors in the input of the switching regulator, so if something damaged the device with overvoltage on the power input then it was not only a spike, but a constant high voltage.
The switching regulator damages above 40Volts input voltage, the voltage on the input has to be high for a long time to charge the input capacitor over 40Volts.
We have sold lots of these drives over the years, if properly used then they last very long, they even have industrial grade optocoupler Mosfet drivers which only high end drives have with factors higher price.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby antomost » Sat May 16, 2020 11:59 am

Hi,
The driver's were not burned by overvoltage. The power part of the drivers is ok.I am electronics engineer and I would like to figure out what happened..
Since is a short circiut indernaly, power up the driver at 5v (pin 4 only and negative) and waiting to see was will be heated (no damaged component is visible). The current draw was at 1.3 amps and after few seconds the processor get hot... so most probably a spike on earth? i don't know. the main of the house dropped at the moment of activating the spindle from the UCCNC. i have grounded everything, even the shielded cables at one side..
antomost

Postby cncdrive » Sat May 16, 2020 8:48 pm

What do you mean by 5V to pin 4.?
Pin 4 of what?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby antomost » Sun May 17, 2020 5:37 am

On the main connector of the DG4S. According to the manual, instead of 12V at pin 7 & 8 we can power-on the unit with 5V at 4 & 8.
This will by pass the internal switcing regulator. I use a bench power supply adjusted at 5V. It is really very strange to me the reason of failure, thats why i try to find it.
A have line filter at the speed controle, ground everything, fuses everwhere etc. I am quite sure that the speed controller cause the damage but i can't figure out how this is possible...
antomost

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 18, 2020 8:49 pm

OK, I see.
I don't know what exactly happened, but I have no other idea than overvoltage on the power supply.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Hardware