Suggestions on torch start/stop wiring

This is the place to talk about and share things related to CNC plasma machines using UCCNC

Suggestions on torch start/stop wiring

Postby The-Meerkat » Sun May 10, 2020 6:04 pm

I’m about to wire the torch start/stop from a Powermax 65 to a UCBB Dual Port Breakout Board. From my Powermax manual it looks like connector sockets 3 & 4 in the machine interface Cable (blue, black wires) are what I’m connecting to on the plasma cutter side. Any suggestions on the best way to connect to the breakout board?
The-Meerkat

Re: Suggestions on torch start/stop wiring

Postby Robertspark » Sun May 10, 2020 7:17 pm

You need a relay as it is supposed to be a dry contact closure. It is recommended to use a high speed relay (one that opens and closes quickly and consistently.... Such as a Reed relay or something else in the order of low milliseconds to open and close)

The relay would then have it's coil wired to one of the outputs pins of the ucbb
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Sun May 10, 2020 7:30 pm

Robertspark

Postby The-Meerkat » Mon May 11, 2020 4:07 am

Hi Robert,

When taking apart my old plasma table electronics to upgrade to the new UCCNC equipment I pulled the relay in the attached photo and a power supply from it. I failed to document how I disassembled it. I thought I had a couple pictures, but I don’t now.

I’ve got the green & black wires from connector sockets 3 & 4 of the interface cable identified.
I’ve got the power supply with a (+) wire and (-) wire.
I’ve got a relay with 4 terminals, each marked with numbers.
I’ve got several open output pins on my breakout board.

On the relay I’m thinking the terminal marked 30 goes to (+) power supply and terminal 85 goes to (-) power supply. I could be wrong. I’m clueless on how to wire the others.
Attachments
4C0C3FD0-01AD-4C38-B510-92D887A2EC89.jpeg
The-Meerkat

Postby Robertspark » Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 am

That is a bit of a clunky automotive relay ... It will work but it will be slow to open and also the coil collapsing will generate a reverse voltage so you WILL need a diode in parallel with the coil to prevent killing the output from the ucbb

Those relays are designed for high current applications
I don't know if I believe this datasheet saying 2msec release time
https://www.mantech.co.za/datasheets/pr ... 85-97M.pdf

Get a IN4007 (very cheap and common diode).... Any IN400x (X= 1 to 7 ) will do just fine

Any one of these type of relay PCBs would be a better choice
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162988378827
srd-12vdc-sl-c relay 5 mSec release time
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 9181214847

I have some of these too which are better (quicker and more consistent switching times) but they are more expensive
https://images.app.goo.gl/Zoed9GcjhBEbv9Vh7
RY12W-K relay 3mSec release time

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... oh2T-qTIpE
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Mon May 11, 2020 7:29 am

The-Meerkat wrote:.

On the relay I’m thinking the terminal marked 30 goes to (+) power supply and terminal 85 goes to (-) power supply. I could be wrong. I’m clueless on how to wire the others.

Yes that is correct.... But don't forget the diode to remove the spike generated by the collapsing voltage through the coil when it turns off
Robertspark

Postby The-Meerkat » Mon May 11, 2020 8:49 am

Thanks for the help Robert. That car relay was the original stuff. What you’re saying makes sense. I just ordered the RY12W-K relay 3mSec release time relay you recommend. It’ll take a week to arrive. In the meantime I read up on this new one.

All the best,

Scott Meer
The-Meerkat

Postby Hemingway » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:35 pm

Hi,
Wiring the torch's in/stop is very simple. It has two sides of the battery one + and one - connect the wires with them will become torches. Torch is used as a light need. If you have any recipe in mind, I will definitely tell you. thank you.
Hemingway

Postby Hemingway » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:36 pm

Hi,
I have a torch its button is broken can anyone tell me how to connect it how to wire it. Please inform me suggestions on torch start/stop wiring.
Thank you.
Hemingway

Postby Robertspark » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:38 am

you will have to open up the plasma cutter and trace the wiring and just install a relay between the two switch button wires...... they will work the same as a button.

make sure the plasma cutter is switched off and has been off for some time as it runs on direct current and will have some really big capacitors within it that rectify mains voltage and store the mains voltage (ie the. voltage will be square root of 2 times the mains voltage, for me that would be 230v X 1.414 = 325V.... no you don't want to get a shock from it as it will bite! and may kill)

post some pictures if you want help, my crystal ball is not working at the moment
Robertspark

Return to CNC Plasma