Probing Problems 1.2112

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Probing Problems 1.2112

Postby rfsx15 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:20 am

I have 2 probing issues:

[1] Probe button (lower part of panel just beneath coolant). Fast feed and fine feed speeds are too fast. Two probes are completed, but after the 2nd probe, the retract hits Z max limit (top of the Z range which is set to +5 inches). I see no way to adjust parameters except through the M31 macro
Z axis setup --> write offset on home = 5, homing back off = 0, soft limit min (-) = 0, soft limit max (+) = 5, backlash = 0.
Soft limits = enabled, precompile macros on startup = checked, safe z = 4.
I fiddled with the probing macro M31, adjusting some defaults and recompiled on startup but no effect.

[2] Probe' button using the plugin (mid portion of screen on the left). Probe tool = touch probe, axis P1 = -2 / Z axis = selected, Simple probe = selected
Soft limit = selected,gauge height = 0, probe diameter = 0, fine distance = 1, retract = 3, safe z = 0, fast feed = 30, fine feed = 1, enable retract = selected, zero probed axes = selected.
Pushing 'start probing' button causes the 1st probe to work correctly, but then the retract is 0.0001 inches/3 seconds...the 2nd probling never takes place due to slow retract between probings.
The feed rates respond correctly. I am unable to get a proper retract between 1st and 2nd probe.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx...Richard
rfsx15

Re: Probing Problems 1.2112

Postby rfsx15 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:24 pm

Probe problem #2 - resolved.

Probe problem #1 - fast and fine feed speeds controlled by FRO....interesting.
- When probing completed, retracts to Zmax ==> error code.
- Editing M31.txt does not alter results.
rfsx15

Postby rfsx15 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:08 pm

Probe Problem # 1 resolved - by editing the "correct" M31.txt file located in the 'profiles' folder, not the one in the 'contents' folder.
rfsx15

Postby dezsoe » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:15 am

You only need the enable retract if your probe doesn't reset in fine distance. After the first probe the tool retracts fine distance and only after this retracts the set retract distance. Without seeing your settings I assume that you have enabled limit traverse speed, but the speed value there is the default 0.0001. This checkbox limits the fast movements to the given feed rate. Don't forget to enable greater Z is safer in G17: this makes the safe Z movements the highest possible (set in the next row).
dezsoe

Postby rfsx15 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:44 pm

Thanx for the reply.

I have sorted out the issues you have addressed and can probe properly.

Question: My Z travel is about 5 inches. Where would you set your Zmax/Zmin...at Zero/-5 inches...or +5/Zero inches?

Question: Is setting Zsafe = Zmax ok or would you set Zsafe < Zmax?

Question: Plugin probing routine...probe of Z axis with gauge measures correctly and the value resides in the 'probe results window'', but does not change the Zaxis value. I have to manually move the probe results to the Zaxis. Am I missing something?
rfsx15

Postby dezsoe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:47 pm

1. As you like it. However, setting 0/-5 seems a better option if you use Fusion 360, because it likes to send the Z to machine 0. That was the first thing I removed from its postprocessor.
2. As you like it or as you think it is safe. :) E.g. I home Z with 5 mm back off, then set it to 0. (So I have 5 mm safe zone above 0.) My Safe Z is set to 0.
3. You have to turn on Zero probed axes to zero the probed axes.
dezsoe

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software