AXBB-E laser connection

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

AXBB-E laser connection

Postby retrosmith » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:22 pm

I've got the AXBB-E working well with my router, but I want to run a J-Tech Photonics 2.8-watt laser with it also, and I cannot get it to work. The laser turns on and works normally in constant mode, and responds like it should to the onboard amperage adjustment so it seems to be working normally. When I try to activate it with the built-in laser plugin in UCCNC I get motion but no activity from the laser at all.

I have the positive laser control circuit connected to pin 17 and the negative to 5V 0. Do I have these connected correctly? What else needs to be done?

Thanks!
retrosmith

Re: AXBB-E laser connection

Postby ger21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Do you have the Laser pin set to pin17? With the proper port #?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby retrosmith » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 pm

Checked that today and yes those are set correctly, pin 17 port 1. I have not tried the "Active Low" box though, mainly since I have no idea what it does. :)

I'll try that when I get home in the morning.
retrosmith

Postby GaryLa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 pm

retrosmith wrote: I have not tried the "Active Low" box though, mainly since I have no idea what it does. :)

Active low just means that when the signal is "ON" it outputs as a low value instead of a high value.

The DIR pins are a good example of using low and high, too. If low causes clockwise spin, high will cause counter-clockwise.

You can switch this by setting Active low. Then a low causes counter-clockwise spin, high causes a clockwise spin.
GaryLa

Postby retrosmith » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Well, I feel silly. The driver for this laser has a jumper to tell it whether it should look for Active Low or Active High. That jumper is completely missing, so no type of control signal is going to work.

I ended up getting a much larger laser and I'm awaiting arrival of the new driver for it (presumably with all of its jumpers intact). I'll report back if I have trouble with the new one.

Thanks!
retrosmith

Postby 3d0g » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:01 pm

When possible, try to use active low signaling. It's more noise resistant.
3d0g

Return to Hardware