Re: AXBB pwm 0-10v

Postby Robertspark » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:53 pm

is this your speed controller board?

if not can you provide a link

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... L4f7TMn5hG
Robertspark

Postby rewster » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:44 pm

Robertspark wrote:is this your speed controller board?

if not can you provide a link

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... L4f7TMn5hG

Hey Robert, thanks for the reply -

Yes, as a matter of fact it is. Well, the grizzly variant. Mill is a converted G0704. I've removed the board from the equation, so it's not the issue; I bench tested the pwm on a meter when I first hooked it up. My issue is in the axbb or uccnc (I believe).

Settings seem to be OK. Power supplies are good. PWM functions, albeit at reduced voltage. I'm getting 0-2.5v, proportional to spindle command. Outputs go active accordingly. I cracked the axbb open a bit ago to check for any obvious signs of damage and didn't find anything. Could be an opamp or something, but I'm just spitballing there. I don't know enough about these controllers to diagnose further.
rewster

Postby Robertspark » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:51 pm

how did you wire it up?

I ask because that board uses a potentiometer, but also has 2 trim pots which allow you to offset the low and high end of the range of the potentiometer you have removed.....

I am wondering if you've killed something because if you wired all three wires from the axbbe to the drive both devices are outputting voltage and they could have backed into one another and killed something in the axbbe

maybe it needs cncdrive to pipe up about how to wire it up correctly
Robertspark

Postby rewster » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:08 am

Understood. I performed the initial bench tests before I ever wired it up to ensure I wouldn't fry anything (been bitten by that one before). I only hooked it up to see how the spindle would respond after; used P1/P2 to A01/5V0, respectively. Same setup that I had running previously via the G540 pwm. I use the trim pots to dial everything in.
rewster

Postby rewster » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Well, my journey has come to somewhat of an end. I decided to do what any self-respecting DIY'er would do; I made due with what I had. With a voltage regulator/multiplier installed inline, I was able to get the potential that I need. It screws a bit with the linearity of the pwn output, but I was able to tweak some stuff to make it usable.

cncdrive - I'd love to know if anyone else has had a similar issue. I'm thinking that I got a lemon, but I can't afford the downtime of swapping out a unit at the moment.
rewster

Postby cncdrive » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:33 pm

No, nobody has such problem. We test all AXBB-E with automatic tester equipment which measures 256 voltage points on the analog output, so if your device is new and was not seriously misconnected which made it to damage then it should work fine.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Please tell me the following:

With the AXBB-E analog output not connected to anything and measuring the voltage between the analog output and it's ground what voltage are you getting with the jumper on and also with the jumper off, if you setting the PWM max. value to 100% and you programming M3 Sxxx, where the xxx equals the maximum setup spindle speed on the spindle tab page?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby rewster » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:25 pm

cncdrive wrote:Please tell me the following:

With the AXBB-E analog output not connected to anything and measuring the voltage between the analog output and it's ground what voltage are you getting with the jumper on and also with the jumper off, if you setting the PWM max. value to 100% and you programming M3 Sxxx, where the xxx equals the maximum setup spindle speed on the spindle tab page?

Measured directly at terminals between A01 and 5V0 : ~2.5v (2.53) with jumper removed, ~1.3v with jumper on. That's at 100% (M3S4500 in my case). Only one pulley set up, 0-4500 rpm. Adjusting the override slider reduces voltage proportionally, but I can't get over 2.5v. Tested before ever connecting to the spindle control board. Nothing was connected incorrectly, so shorts anywhere, etc. I've been through everything I can think to check. I'm at a loss.
rewster

Postby rewster » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:42 pm

cncdrive wrote:Please tell me the following:

bump
rewster

Postby rewster » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 pm

Hey fellas -

Little update. I swapped my controller for a fresh one. Promptly removed the jumper on the new unit, hooked my rat's nest up, and started checking voltages and whatnot. 0-5v volts on AO1. What the ?!?!?!? Reinstalled jumper (just for grins). Full 0-10v now.

I don't claim to understand it, but for whatever reason removing the jumper cuts my max voltage in half when the opposite should be true. At any rate, my spindle is running, chips are flying, and custom knives are making their way to customers.
rewster

Previous

Return to Hardware