Kicked off CNCZONE

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Kicked off CNCZONE

Postby Vmax549 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:31 pm

IF anyone goes looking for me over at CNC ZONE I have been KICKED OFF teh site because I REFUSED to give them my phone number.

End of Story, (;-) TP
Vmax549

Re: Kicked off CNCZONE

Postby Battwell » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:42 pm

id have given them someone i dont like phone number!
Uc300eth on router and mill.
UK uccnc powered machine sales. https://cncrouter.uk/atc-cnc-routers.htm
Automateanything/duzzit cnc/mercury cnc
Battwell

Postby cncdrive » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Why didn't you give them the phone number of the White House or something.
I'm sure they value your privacy and would not sell your phone number to advertising companies ... I'm sure no way that it would happen, CNCzone is lead by a bunch of bastards. :)
I'm happy I left their forum years ago.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Vmax549 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:41 pm

They CHECKED teh number I did give them(not mine).

No loss here as they need viewers MORE than I need them. BUT I had been there since before dirt was invented.

According to them it is a new european law but I think that was BS. So everyone that is there will have to give up their number. But not this old boy.

YES they ALL say we would never give up your info THEN you find your data being used to call you from telemarketers and SCAM calls. And yes I normally encode that data so I KNOW where it came from.

OH WELL , back to playing with teh new controller.

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby beefy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:09 am

I don't even enjoy going on the cnczone site any more. It's more like a chore than a pleasure, just to see if there's any useful info I can learn.

The site seems to have become incredibly bloated, no doubt with all the ads to make them money. You have to wait ages for pages to load, and if you start scrolling too quickly the page refreshes and takes you back to the top. It's quite frustrating.

My guess is they want phone numbers for more advertising/marketing use. They'll be able to target members based on which topics they frequent, etc.
beefy

Postby cncdrive » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:59 am

Terry,

As a European and as a person who running a company here I can tell you that there is no new European law which would require them to have your phone number. :)
There is a new law called GDPR which requires them to ask you if they can hold and handle your personal datas (like your email, phone number, date of birth, living place etc.), I mean the new law says that they have to inform you if they will store any of your information and they must inform you how they will use your datas when you give your datas to them. For example if they will ask for your phone number and will sell that information to 3rd party companies then they must tell you to who and what datas they will give out etc. They must tell you this when you giving them that information. So you then aware that this company will collect your phone number to store and to sell it to some companies.
Furthermore if you asking them about what data they have about you and if they have any of your datas then they must inform you about that when you asking. And if you not consenting to store your datas anymore then you can ask them that you don't consent anymore and then they must erase your datas in their system.

So, the new European law is nothing about that they must have your phone number, instead it is about that they cannot have your phone number or other personal informations without your consent.
The new law is to protect the consumers' privacy and not to get more information about them without their consents.
And the new law is really a bit stupid in many points, it is so restrictive to companies that it is kind of stupid. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:01 am

beefy wrote:The site seems to have become incredibly bloated, no doubt with all the ads to make them money. You have to wait ages for pages to load, and if you start scrolling too quickly the page refreshes and takes you back to the top. It's quite frustrating.

My guess is they want phone numbers for more advertising/marketing use. They'll be able to target members based on which topics they frequent, etc.

Ad Blocker.
I use one, and I'm a moderator there.

Myself and a few other long time moderators there have almost zero contact with the new owners of the site, and don't even really know who they are. I don't know anything about this policy. Nobody's ever asked for my number.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Derek » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:32 pm

I just ran into this on facebook. The algorithm tagged me as a potential spammer. I grudgingly gave up my cell phone number to try and recover my account since I have (had) a business page with 2K followers. I ended up loosing it all because it got to the point where they wanted a copy of picture ID.

You post a lot there and if you had a lot of links posted you may have been flagged. And it was all probably automatic.

Derek
Derek

Postby pupdogg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:13 pm

and what's up with the IndustryArena stuff?? I get it that it might be another venture of the new owners but it's utterly annoying and confusing to see exact same content indexed twice in google. Even more annoying at times when you google something at CNCZone and the first link takes you to IndustryArena instead. I personally prefer the UI of CNCZone minus the ads.
Paul Davis
5x10' CNC Router
UCCNC, ETH300, UB1, DMM Servos
pupdogg

Postby ger21 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Industry Arena is the company that bought CNC Zone.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Next

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software