Switches with UCBB

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Switches with UCBB

Postby Morfeus80 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Hello,

I have to connect several switches (6 limit switches and 1 E-stop) to my UCBB, looking at the manual I should wire like in the following screenshot:
UCBB_manual.jpg

The only problem is that doing like that and using a different input for every switch, I have to split the ground between all the sensors and also connect each positive input to a 24V, like there will be a mess with all those wires.
Does not work correctly if a simply connect the 2 poles of each with to a positive and to a negative of each input? Like that I create a shortcut between the poles when the switch is closed and I open the circuit when the switch is opened:
UCBB_manual2.jpg
Morfeus80

Re: Switches with UCBB

Postby aholck » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:01 pm

The inputs are optically isolated, so needs a power source of 12-24v to activate the LED inside the opto-coupler. Thats why they are marked with polarity, they are not simply a short, they drive a light emitting diode.
In the image you drew there is no power source connected to the input so the LED inside will not turn on.
aholck

Postby cncdrive » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Aholck is correct, those in the inputs of the UCBB board are LEDs (light emmiting diodes in the optocoupler and connecting them like you did will not power the LED, so it will not light and so it will not work, you have to drive current through the LED for it to light like on the drawings in the UCBB manual.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Morfeus80 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 pm

Ok, thanks for the clarification!
Morfeus80

Return to Hardware