DC drives who is running dg4s-16035 ?

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

DC drives who is running dg4s-16035 ?

Postby Dennis CNC » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi,

Would like to hear your experience with the 16035 drives?

I have used Viper drives and recently machdrives.
The tuning was just too much work on the above drives.

Considering using 16035 drives on older Thermwood router 4x8 with about ~1,500 hours on it.

I have machdrives on it now, works ok but can't get the tuning right, positional accuracy is good but motors get hot sitting idle no noise from motors or encoder pulse movement.

Thanks

Dennis
Dennis CNC

Re: DC drives who is running dg4s-16035 ?

Postby cncdrive » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:32 pm

Hi,

We've sold about 50 000 of those drives, but I'm not sure how many users will post on forums. Most people not posting, not even reading forums. :D
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Dennis CNC » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:37 am

In manual is says that above 80 volts need to use braking circuit, I assume its a must?
The motors are 150 volt 10 amp.
Dennis CNC

Postby cncdrive » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:50 am

Well, the issue with high voltage and high power is that when the motor is deccelerating rapidly then it acts as a generator and so it is pumping voltage back to the power supply.
If the voltage rises above the voltage rating of the mosfets in the drive (250Volts) then the mosfets will damage and also the capacitors in the drive and in the PSU can damage.
The braking circuit is to protect against these overvoltage events. It measures the voltage of the PSUand fires if the voltage gets too high, it connects some power resistors on the power supply rails which dissipates the regenerative energy and so they protect the drive and the power supply.

We generally recommend the usage of the braking circuit above 80Volts, because usually those motors which work with that high voltage have high enough power to cause the above mentioned problem.
However it is very hard to make a caulculation on it, because if it is needed depends on many factors... but a braking circuit is not that expensive and if it is installed then the system will be safe...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Hardware