G31 with more than one axis word

Here is where you can request new features or special features.

Re: G31 with more than one axis word

Postby Robertspark » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:26 pm

Bump^^^
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Any update on this one from cncdrive?
Robertspark

Postby eabrust » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:23 pm

Bumpity Bump :)
CraftyCNC: Plugins for UCCNC (and other neat stuff): http://www.craftycnc.com/plugins-for-uccnc/
eabrust

Postby cncdrive » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:52 pm

No update.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Robertspark » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Haha short and sweet :lol: :lol:
Robertspark

Postby cncdrive » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Sorry Rob, but I have no more information about this at the moment.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Robertspark » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:53 am

As it's (almost) Christmas, and wish lists and giving are are all the rage.....

I wrote a letter to Santa and asked for....

:lol: :lol:

:D

Smile.... I thought it was time for a bump just for the hell of it.... :lol:

What did you ask Santa for (other than all those vmax macros and wizards to reappear....)
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:32 pm

I know I'm going to sound like I'm ungrateful, but I'm not at all.... I really like the new probe options that are built in to the new screenset.

I am wondering if the G31 probe with more than one axis is on a list somewhere?

The reason why I have been asking for this (and it would go REALLY well with the new probe screenset) is the option to be able to trace a part

Eric (who was the OP of this thread) developed this probe screenset plugin for Mach3, if you skip to ~2:50 you'll understand why 2 axis probing is beneficial to be able to trace directly to DXF via probed points.

Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Anyone ever heard of a G31 move with a G2/G3 arc of motion?

Instead of just a linear movement, I've heard it may be quicker to trace an object given the corners are always picked up
Robertspark

Postby eabrust » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 am

Hey Rob,

Interesting thought.

One thing to consider if you're trying to probe around a part and trace it with an iterative macro, is that to correctly record the location of the touch point on the edge of the part, you have to correctly offset the probe tip diameter to where the contact happened. To do that correctly, you need to know a few things, such as what direction the probe is traveling at the time of the touch, and have some confidence that you are probing roughly square to the edge of the surface. Even If you probe in only the x direction, you know the vector the tip is traveling in, but if the surface you hit is at an angle relative to that vector, the calculated hit point will be off a bit. This calculated error gets smaller and smaller as the probe tip shrinks, but nobody uses a needle-point probe. That's the reason I wish being able to probe in combined X-Y movement was available.

I think if you throw an arc movement in there, it would be darn near impossible to know what direction the probe tip was moving when contact was made (at least at a macro writing level). The controller may be able to determine the vector direction at the time of the touch and provide that info as an output along with the trip position (as it's generating the x and y velocities at the time of the touch), but it would still be difficult to determine if you're hitting the part squarely. I don't think there is much value in trying to probe with a G2/G3, just after thinking about it briefly. Maybe there's a benefit I'm not seeing?

regards,
Eric Brust
CraftyCNC: Plugins for UCCNC (and other neat stuff): http://www.craftycnc.com/plugins-for-uccnc/
eabrust

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Request