Copying screenset edits to another controller

If you created a new screenset and want to share it with others then please post it here. You can talk about screens here.

Copying screenset edits to another controller

Postby Greolt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:36 am

Having made some screeset edits, which I am so far happy with, I want to duplicate those edits to another controller.

The default screenset has sections for each type of controller. My edits are in the section for one controller. Now I would like those edits to also apply to another type of controller.

Is there a simple or easy way to apply those edits to another section? Or do I have to redo all the edits whilst using that different controller. (or selcting it as demo)

One way might be to open both the default and my edited screenset in Notepad++ and use "Compare" to see exactly what entries have been added or removed.

And then manually paste those changes to the section relevant to the new controller.

Is there a better way or idea?
Greolt

Re: Copying screenset edits to another controller

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:51 am

How did you do your edits?

(i.e. what did you edit, did you add images or just relocate the objects using the same images?)

I am presently editing the Neuron screenset and after the 3rd time of having a go at it (learning each time), I came up with a strategy of doing it right in my opinion:

First I added all of the custom images I wanted to use, and numbered them from a random sequential high number (say 2500 onwards)
If I had two images, an UP and a DN, I called the name of the image "2500-btnStopUP.png", and "2500-btnStopDn.png"

This allowed me to add all of the images into a word document so that I could see them quickly and select the appropriate one to what I wanted for my screenset object.

Also what I did was I deleted all of the objects off the screenset I wanted to fully edit (by fully edit I mean anything that would move position....)
This then allowed me to add the objects back in

Whilst this may not be obvious why I'd created all the extra work of adding the objects back in, what it allows me to do is go through the SSL (screenset text file) and go to the end of each section and just copy that section to the other BoB variants.... because those at the areas that have been edited..... you will however need to first remove all objects off that bobs screenset that you want to fully edit first or you'll have double objects showing.

I've not found an easy way of doing this....

If you make the error like when I started out of changing the original screen objects image and repositioning it, trying to find that line and then move that from one Bob variant to another in the SSL is a PIA.

Maybe Gerry has a better way (I've not see / use the 2017 screenset but think it was majorly reworked or created from scratch, hence he may have a better way).
Attachments
2017-10-27 09_53_01-Neuron Screen Images.docx - Microsoft Word.png
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:58 am

The other thing that I did was instead of creating a custom screenset images folder that contains all of the existing images, all I did with the custom images was add them to their own sub-folder within the Defaultscreenset folder.

This allows me to install a new development version over the top of the previous version and I will always have the current images available plus my custom images referenced from within the single screenset file which will hopefully allow me to keep the screenset up to date with the development versions.
Attachments
2017-10-27 09_54_52-C__UCCNC_Screens_Neuron_v1_2045.ssf.ssf - Notepad++.png
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:14 am

There is no easy way. I've either manually copied and pasted in the .ssf file, or just used the screen editor for the other controller.

I started from scratch, and then copied and pasted in the .ssf for each controller, so all of the screens started out exactly the same.
So, if I'm making a change for all of the controllers, I'll sometimes edit the .ssf file, using find and replace. But other times I'll load UCCNC for each specific controller, and make the chnages with the editor. It depends on the situation.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Greolt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanks for that Gerry and Rob

Sounds like grouping the extra lines at the end of each region makes sense.
Greolt

Return to Custom Screensets