2017 Screenset Question - safe Z height

If you created a new screenset and want to share it with others then please post it here. You can talk about screens here.

2017 Screenset Question - safe Z height

Postby spumco » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:31 am

Gerry,

[Thought I'd post this here rather than over on CNCZone, as I/we might get more input from other UCCNC users]

Here goes...

Under the 2017 screen, the Run From Here (RFH) function still uses work coordinates and not machine coordinates. Your Safe Z Height 2 has saved my bacon a couple of times as it's in machine coordinates. Would it be possible to create an option to use the same Safe Z Height 2 for the RFH function?

The couple of times I've tried using RFH after a cycle stop the machine tried to eat itself. It's quite likely (certain, in fact) that I'm making some error when I try to do the RFH, but the UCCNC documentation on what exactly happens during RFH is pretty slim.

If it's not possible, no sweat. If it's possible but a bad idea, maybe you or someone else could explain why in short, easy-to-understand words.

And thank you again for the screen set. Now that I have the TTS system and tool length offsets (mostly) figured out I'm not using the auto-zero function, but everything else is superb.

Regards,
Spumco
spumco

Re: 2017 Screenset Question - safe Z height

Postby ger21 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:55 am

If it is, I wouldn't know where to begin, as RFH is a built in function.
It would probably require creating a new RFH in a macro, and I don't know if that's possible?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby andrewbishop66 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Glad im not the only person whos machine tries to eat its self with RFH

Andrew
andrewbishop66

Postby spumco » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:32 am

I guess I need to re-visit the RFH function under suitably safe conditions and see what's going on. Maybe with a bananna in the spindle and a rubber chicken strapped to the table.

Gerry - thanks for giving it some thought. I think I saw you mentioned on another thread you were thinking about a fairly significant update this Fall to incorporate some of the UCCNC changes. Anything up your sleeve you care to mention?

-S
spumco

Postby ger21 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:06 am

spumco wrote:Gerry - thanks for giving it some thought. I think I saw you mentioned on another thread you were thinking about a fairly significant update this Fall to incorporate some of the UCCNC changes. Anything up your sleeve you care to mention?
-S

While I don't like the Safe Z either, I think it's just an issue of understanding how RFH works.

spumco wrote:Gerry - thanks for giving it some thought. I think I saw you mentioned on another thread you were thinking about a fairly significant update this Fall to incorporate some of the UCCNC changes. Anything up your sleeve you care to mention?

Just that it'll be later than the fall. :(
Gerry
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:02 pm

I can make an option about the SafeZ, if it has to be in machine or the current coordinate system, but I will need some time to do that,
because we started implementing the G41/G42 tool radius offset and it requires lots of changes in the software, so we had to first freeze all other developments on the UCCNC until this will be finished.
Development going good, but not finished yet. Have attached a printscreen of the development, an test offset path. :)
Attachments
G41G42peek.png
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Looks great!!
Gerry
ger21

Postby spumco » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:08 am

CNCDrive,

G41/G42 is WAY more important than fiddling with the Run From Here safe Z height.

And a tool table with diameters and description fields. And maybe more work off-sets (G59.1, .2, etc.).

If you get around to it after the much more important updates, it would be nice to have the machine or work coordinate option you mentioned, but I hesitated to post in the "Requests" sub-forum 'cause I know you all are working on good stuff all the time and don't need to be bogged down with trivial things.

Thanks again for an awesome product and support.

-Spumco
spumco

Return to Custom Screensets