Another take on a RUN screen

If you created a new screenset and want to share it with others then please post it here. You can talk about screens here.

Another take on a RUN screen

Postby CNC22369 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:33 am

I decided to try my hand at developing a custom RUN screen that included features and a layout that work well for me – I did not try to create a general-purpose RUN screen. This has been a long project – I tried various layout variations before settling on the one shown in the attachments. Also, it was of course a tedious and time-consuming task to create the new tab and integrate it into an existing screen set. I’m currently using it with two types of CNCDRIVE motion controllers on a CNC router and a CNC mill.

Any feedback forum members may have will be appreciated.

Here’s some background information on the custom RUN tab.

The goal was to create a custom RUN tab (features, layout, functionality, etc.) that reflects my take on what I want a RUN screen to be.

Here are some requirements I established for the custom RUN screen:
1. Make the custom RUN tab an add-on tab to Gerry’s 2017 Screenset. Do not make any changes to the 2017 Screenset tabs/screens (including the Jog flyout tab) or its macros.
2. The custom RUN tab shall display all information normally needed/desired (except for machine setup data) when running a job. It shall also have all the controls needed to operate the machines.
3. The custom RUN tab shall consolidate the standard 2017 Run, Offsets, and Diagnostics screens as well as some configuration items from the Jog screen. To accomplish this, three sub-tabs were created (selected by buttons) that are displayed in a reserved area of the screen. The sub-tabs are for a Path display box, a Diagnostics table, and an Offsets configuration table (with job stats). See the attachments – one for each sub-tab.
4. The custom RUN tab shall use color to color code/group similar functions (example: X axis items are Red; Y axis are Green, etc.).
5. Buttons shall be sized to be usable on a touch screen.
6. State indicators on buttons shall not be provided by button graphics (e.g., a toggle button) but shall be status LEDs that overlay the buttons.
7. Dynamic features shall be incorporated where possible (example: The Home All button cross hair will blink while the homing process is active and each of the individual axis home buttons will change to a filled button when the axis homing completes. Another example: The Park button arrows will turn green whenever the spindle is at the desired coordinates.)
8. The Diagnostics sub-tab shall be arranged to show I/O signal state and functional status. This table shall be customized for each type of motion controller and machine.

There is one new macro that is associated with this custom RUN tab.

Screen graphic components were created using CorelDraw Home & Students X8. All components for the new RUN screen (except for the sub-tab graphics) were kept in one CorelDraw file. Individual components from that file were converted to UCCNC .png files using the CorelDraw .png export feature. The CorelDraw X,Y coordinates (in pixels) were setup so that the 0,0 coordinate was in the upper left corner. This made it easier to exactly place individual components within UCCNC.

NotePad ++ was used for text editing the .ssf file.

WinMerge was used to facilitate integrating the new RUN tab into the 2017 Screenset.

Tweaks are still being made to enhance various aspects of the screen. It remains to be seen how maintainable this RUN screen will be when changes that impact it are made to UCCNC and/or the 2017 screenset. And lastly, the screen is a bit "busy", but this was a trade-off I made to get everything I wanted on one screen.

Frank
Attachments
RUN_Offset.jpg
RUN screen with Offset Configuration sub-tab
RUN_Path.jpg
RUN screen with Path Display Box sub-tab
RUN_Diag.jpg
RUN screen with Diagnostic Table sub-tab
CNC22369

Re: Another take on a RUN screen

Postby CADdy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:15 am

...freaky colours ;-)

Peter
CADdy

Postby A_Camera » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:49 am

I prefer simplicity, so I only made a few changes and kept the colour scheme, which I find relaxing and easy to read, as opposed to your choice of colours, which I find extremely disturbing and freaky, very difficult for my brains.
Attachments
My Run screen.JPG
A_Camera

Postby ger21 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:42 am

Yes, busy is one way to describe it. :)

It remains to be seen how maintainable this RUN screen will be when changes that impact it are made to UCCNC and/or the 2017 screenset.

There likely won't be any changes to the 2017 Screenset. I'll be creating a completely new one after the next full release of UCCNC. Probably over the winter.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Robertspark » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:04 pm

A modified Neuron Plasma (Lite) screenset ... presently working on again {updating to latest development release} ...

All the tabs behind the run screen are vanilla uccnc {with the addition of M10.1---10 is in part why its being updated}

Note: some of the functions / buttons won't work without a neuron as they interface directly with the neuron plugin
Attachments
2018-06-16 13_59_52-.png
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:24 pm

CNC22369, thanks for the WinMerge!!! very handy tool {matching / updating profiles fast + screenset information}
http://winmerge.org/
Robertspark

Postby TadasM » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:07 pm

It looks like there is plenty of customizers for UCCNC :) I'm one off such too. My screenset is dedicated for my own built cnc machine - MMC (Mini Mighty CNC). I have adapted screenset for 3 axis (4 optionally). It is still in the works , but I made a video to show where and how I did it.
Cheers

https://youtu.be/3DQ9RO2FN1A
TadasM

Postby Robertspark » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:17 pm

Nice
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 pm

Very cool. Nice work.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html