Stepcraft Screenset with UI in mind

If you created a new screenset and want to share it with others then please post it here. You can talk about screens here.

Re: Stepcraft Screenset with UI in mind

Postby 2046 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:32 am

Does anybody know why there is the "Speed Actual" number field?
As that does not update to me at all on my M700 (the speed is properly controlled by the software, but the "actual" speed is not transferred back).
First I thought is my mistake but I have checked couple youtubes and looks like that field does not update for anybody.
In such case the field is redundant.
Attachments
screenshot-www.forum.cncdrive.com-2022.03.11-09_30_43.jpg

Postby A_Camera » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:51 am

2046 wrote:Here is a new version, with feedback in mind.
The MPG/JOG is bit clumsy still.. this part of the interface absurdly makes the less sense of all. The functions are hard to understand as they inherit one another (continuous, MPG Continuos, Multi,... this to me is unnecessary overkill..).

This is the best one, with the large and clear buttons to the right. Miles better than the original one, or the one provided by CNCDrive in the latest UCCNC. This is easy to see, read and find and hit the right buttons. Critical buttons should NEVER be in the middle of a screen, left, right, top or bottom, but NEVER in the middle. I am not using Stepcraft, but my vote is on this sort of solution. The dark version is in my opinion horrible for the eyes. Actually, not only my opinion, but also the opinion of HMI designers, those who do it and work with it professionally.

OK, attachment is not included, but this is what I mean: https://www.forum.cncdrive.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3731&sid=6fa3014a5a4aa7373367103d357d35b7#p26623
A_Camera

Postby Robertspark » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:53 am

2046 wrote:Does anybody know why there is the "Speed Actual" number field?
As that does not update to me at all on my M700 (the speed is properly controlled by the software, but the "actual" speed is not transferred back).
First I thought is my mistake but I have checked couple youtubes and looks like that field does not update for anybody.
In such case the field is redundant.

If you have an spindle encoder / pulse input you will probably get the "actual" speed to be shown
Robertspark

Postby mikkokui » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:58 am

Hi! Will this screenset be available to download? Looks super clean. I would like to make modified version for vertical screen.
mikkokui

Postby 2046 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:06 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I've been thinking about it.
A_Camera wrote:@A_Camera

About the buttons @A_Camera you are surely right. After I have been using the vertical screenset I made it does not feel right in production.

Here is what I came up with right now (still early alfa). There are still some parts I'm not 100% certain – overall It feels more comfortable.
As you can see wast majority of the buttons are enlarged. This time also the XYZA zeroing, homing and the like. The original screenset have them super uncomfortably small, and my horizontal made no difference. Also this time the Digitazing found finally accurate space and the buttons are better for fingers, plus as you see we have some extra space for your custom buttons.

mikkokui wrote:@mikkokui
sure, I'll push it to github later.
Attachments
uccnc-screenset_ux_Trans_LIGHT_hor2.jpg

Postby 2046 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:33 pm

First public version is here:
https://github.com/twentyfortysix/uccnc_screenset_2046

Read the readme! ..it is still in aplha state.

Note:
- "Macro notes off" has been removed, that does not belong to run screen.
- User Macro buttons are not on place yet, I forgot to finish them :D You gonna see P1-3 doubled, until the update will come up, reuse those.
- Images are in retina resolution, meaning basically doubled in pixel resolution, so it should be fine on large screens too, most likely better.
- the JOG responsiveness is horrible, I hope nobody needs to use that ever.
- the code red notes are not readable, I know about it, will fix that later

Tested, but not 100%. Specifically not probing, everything else should be fine, but you never know.. let me know.
Here is wat you can expect, sort of.. as the OpenGL view engine smudge all edges greatly.
Attachments
alpha_toolpath.jpg
TOOLPATH
alpha_jog.jpg
JOG
alpha_run.jpg
RUN

Postby 2046 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:50 am

once we will know that everything works, I'm gonna update the design a bit. It'll go this way..
Attachments
alphaCrazy.jpg

Postby A_Camera » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:27 am

2046 wrote:Thanks for all the tips. I've been thinking about it.
A_Camera wrote:@A_Camera

About the buttons @A_Camera you are surely right. After I have been using the vertical screenset I made it does not feel right in production.

Here is what I came up with right now (still early alfa). There are still some parts I'm not 100% certain – overall It feels more comfortable.
As you can see wast majority of the buttons are enlarged. This time also the XYZA zeroing, homing and the like. The original screenset have them super uncomfortably small, and my horizontal made no difference. Also this time the Digitazing found finally accurate space and the buttons are better for fingers, plus as you see we have some extra space for your custom buttons.

mikkokui wrote:@mikkokui
sure, I'll push it to github later.

Looks very nice. I like the clean surface with the minimalistic approach and the large buttons. Perhaps a bit too dark background for my taste, but nothing to worry about. Way better than the original in the current UCCNC version.
A_Camera

Postby CT63 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:25 pm

Accepted industrial machine control standards - NFPA70E and CE - specify that "Stop" button is red, "Start" green only. Reset is typically yellow or any color except red or green.

Also move the start button to the lower right next to the stop button. Having start button at the right top and stop at the bottom right mixed in with other function buttons is bad practice and confusing.
CT63

Postby 2046 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:26 pm

CT63 wrote:Accepted industrial machine control standards - NFPA70E and CE - specify that "Stop" button is red, "Start" green only. Reset is typically yellow or any color except red or green.

Also move the start button to the lower right next to the stop button. Having start button at the right top and stop at the bottom right mixed in with other function buttons is bad practice and confusing.

Thanks for the comment, the changes are on the way.

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Screensets