Just for fun.

If you milled something cool and you want to show it to others post it here.

Just for fun.

Postby Tweakie.CNC » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:08 am

Here in the UK our young children are still not back at school and I am sure that motivation and providing them with challenging tasks as well as learning is becoming harder and harder for parents. Recently there has been an initiative to paint and decorate small stones and place displays in front gardens / yards which really do look quite colourful and pretty.
Just for fun and because I refuse to grow-up, I have secretly placed a few laser engraved pieces of slate amongst their displays, I have absolutely no idea what the children will make of this but hopefully it will bring a smile.
So far I have managed a dozen or so but I am not sure how many more I can achieve before I get caught. :D

Tweakie.
Attachments
DSC02404.JPG
Tweakie.CNC

Re: Just for fun.

Postby tau » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:45 am

Tweakie,

they turned out really nice!

and

and because I refuse to grow-up

I like your attitude, because it's mine as well :mrgreen: :lol:

Another question because i am still struggling if i should ever get into Lasers too:

Which Laser do you use?
Can't decide wether to start off with a cheap K40 or go for a custom built with better components.

Regards,

tau
tau

Postby Tweakie.CNC » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:11 am

Hi Tau,

I started out by building a CNC machine capable of machining wood and plastic parts then, some time later, added a CO2 laser. The whole project, like Topsy, just kept growing and now it is a multi-purpose CNC machine. The build is more or less detailed here; http://www.tweakie.byethost10.com/27.htm

I do have a K40 which I bought for parts some time back but found very little of good enough quality to use. Having said that there are many who get excellent results from their K40 but they are not for me.

Diode lasers are continually rising in output power and falling in price, they are easy to fit (compared to CO2) to an existing machine and today probably offer the best, cost effective, introduction into laser work. Dependant on the laser work you wish to do you will need to consider wavelength - without going into all the details, wavelength plays a major part in the materials that can be worked and of course there a few different wavelengths to choose from.

Good fortune with your project.

Tweakie.
Tweakie.CNC

Postby Tweakie.CNC » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:35 am

Some of these slates have now been discovered and so far the little ones have been delighted.

One thing that I had not considered was mentioned to me by one of the parents – laser engraved slate items such as this are ‘forever’, even if they get thrown away, one day they will be found. Something worthy of thought ?

Tweakie.
Attachments
DSC02405.JPG
Tweakie.CNC

Postby tau » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:13 pm

Just when reading through your answer, some pictures came to my mind where a million years from now young archeologists will find your Lambo logo engraved plate, keeping it in their hands and shaking their heads what kind of strange humans must have fabricated something like this and what it's purpose might have been. :D

But in the end, it is a 'historical stamp" on the map of mankind (just like the ancient cave drawings of the past)... :lol:

Anyway, as long as we all enjoy what we are doing, it's good! ;)

Oh, yes, those diode lasers are really interesting too, since they should have a longer life time than those CO2 tubes (as well as a much higher power output ranges).
Our chineses fellas produce nice and affordable fiber lasers above the 1kW range for a decent price of a good spindle as can be found on AliExpress.

Well i still need to tackle my old projects before diving into new adventures. :roll:
tau

Postby Tweakie.CNC » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:57 am

Hi Tau,

Your mention of ‘archaeologists of the future’ made me think that because I currently do such daft stuff (people of today don’t even know what it is) I should perhaps create and bury a ‘time capsule’ to really confuse them. :lol:

Go on, get yourself a laser, you know that you deserve it – your old projects will still be there tomorrow, & the day after. ;)

Tweakie.
Attachments
DSC02408.JPG
Tweakie.CNC

Postby Robertspark » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:31 pm

What laser power would you need for that sort of thing?

Is one watt with a blue laser different from 1 watt with a co2 laser (I know some materials will be invisible to one of the other because of their wavelength but generally sort of speaking)

Thanks

(Guess it's true that the dinosaurs had tractors (Lamborghini) and posh cars to drive....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livesc ... oxide.html

...global warming... Hmm :roll:

Reason found in new fossil patterns...
Robertspark

Postby Tweakie.CNC » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Interesting article Rob, there will always be more to learn about those magnificent creatures of the past.

It takes very little power to engrave on slate and I am certain it could be done perfectly with a 1Watt blue laser. The only difference would be the axis speed, I am scanning at 6000 mm/min. - with a 1 Watt blue laser a speed of around 1000 mm/min. may be necessary.

Tweakie.
Tweakie.CNC

Postby Robertspark » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a go as I've got one of the CNCdrive lasers as I trusted their output more than eBay flannel on power outputs and not knowing who or what to believe as an output rating

http://www.shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?categoryID=157

I've had it a little while and use it for gaskets and paper templates
Robertspark

Postby Tweakie.CNC » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi Rob,

Please let us know your results and perhaps post some pictures.

Tweakie.
Tweakie.CNC

Next

Return to What you've made with your machine post the pictures, videos here