USB to ethernet adapter

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

USB to ethernet adapter

Postby motogeek » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:38 pm

I have a laptop (i5 8gb ram) that has no ethernet port. Can I use an adapter like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB ... UTF8&psc=1

to run a uc400eth?
motogeek

Re: USB to ethernet adapter

Postby dezsoe » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm

It should. Now I'm testing a tablet with an Approx appC07V2 USB to 10/100 adapter and haven't found any errors yet. The tablet has Atom processor, so if it can work with the adapter then your laptop also has to.
dezsoe

Postby Haik » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:38 pm

You'll have no problem using the USB to Ethernet Adapter, though the USB bus speed will not provide full gigabit speed. Overall throughput will be fast enough for CNC hardware.

You'll likely not want the USB to Sleep, so be sure to set power saving features for USB to Disabled:
Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Power Options \ Edit Plan Settings

Oh, and USB does not have locking connectors like Ethernet does... be careful to avoid accidental disconnects (and lid closings too, which can also be Sleep disabled).

Cheers,
- Haik
Last edited by Haik on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haik

Postby robertk925 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 pm

I am using a very similar adaptor on my laptop and it runs a UC300ETH-5LPT flawlessly.
robertk925

Postby cncdrive » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 pm

Haik is right, you should disable the USB suspend function, otherwise Windows can disconnect the USB adapter when it thinks it can save power and that you don't need the USB adapter which happens usually if you not pressing keyboard keys and not moving the mouse for 5-10minutes, so Windows thinks you are away from the computer.

And USB LAN cards like the one on the link should work, but possibly install it into a separate USB hub on the computer.
I mean that on computers there are usually 2 or 3 USB hubs and every hub mostly have 2 or more USB ports.
It is the best if you only plug this adapter to one of the hubs and connecting nothing else to that hub.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Ask a question from support here