UCCNC backlash not working

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

UCCNC backlash not working

Postby havand » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:15 pm

Hi - I'm getting my machine setup and tried to cut a relatively thin part. Broke my bit. When I looked, the bit was like 2x deeper than it should have been. So I put my dial indicator on the spindle and checked.

When I move the Z axis in either direction, ~ every 5th step press, it rotates the wrong way or barely moves. This created inconsistent movement. Now i'm fairly confident my steppers aren't over torqued and missing pulses as they are closed loop steppers. When it doesn't barely move or go the wrong way, the movement is fairly regular. Anyone else figure this out? I REALLY need backlash compensation as the z axis has quite a bit of slop. Any thoughts?

EDIT:
Ok, so it was doing this at 200 pulses/rev. I just changed it to 800 pulses per rev and leaving all the other settings alone, its basically doing it every other click now. What the hell. Its almost like there's a math error in the background somewhere for the steps?

EDIT 2:
Just found this. Will have to try it and report back.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3275
havand

Re: UCCNC backlash not working

Postby havand » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:47 pm

Something to do with fractional steps.

If you round say 314.x to 315, it works. One step will move, next will do backlash comp, then move. Next step moves, next step backlash comp, then move.

No idea why. Hopefully it helps someone.
havand

Return to Ask a question from support here