UCCNC Loses connection instantly.

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

UCCNC Loses connection instantly.

Postby Oakfield » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:08 am

The short version:
When i load UCCCNC it starts up, but as soon as it opens, it gives a message saying it has lost connection and is closing.

Long Version:
I am using a UC400ETH controller on my CNC machine.
It has been working absolutely fine with a laptop connected directly with an ethernet cable for months
I am trying to use it with another laptop and having trouble, this is where things get long winded....

The new laptop i am using is a MacBook Pro.
As there isn't a Mac version of UCCNC i am running it on a "Virtual Machine" (VMWare) with Windows 10.
These don't have an Ethernet socket so i am using a USB to Ethernet adapter.
I had to manually find a driver for this and it seems to be working fine now.

I then adjusted the ip address as shown in the manual,
Then i tried running UCxxx_utility.exe but it wouldn't run because it needs .NET Framework which i couldn't turn on.
I wasted a day manually updating windows and now that is all fine.
I ran UCxxx_utility.exe and adjusted as per manual.

All the tests run fine and i can ping the controller etc.
UCCNC recognises the controller on start up because it doesn't offer to run in demo mode, it continues to load.
But as soon as UCCNC has loaded (even before the GUI appears) it says it has lost connection and is closing.

The settings are all the same as on my other laptop which is still working fine, the the controller and cable are also ok.
I assume it must be a setting to do with the apple usb to ethernet adapter.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me??

Thanks.
Oakfield

Re: UCCNC Loses connection instantly.

Postby Oakfield » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:50 pm

Ok, i seem to have it working now.

I found a different driver for the USB to Ethernet adapter - it is actually an older one but seems to be working.

I am having a strange glitch now where the screen flickers and goes blank every few seconds, but i'll work on that now!
Oakfield

Re: UCCNC Loses connection instantly.

Postby Oakfield » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:53 pm

So I tried updating video card drivers and all up to date,
I updated VMWare and everything seems to be working now with no screen flickers etc.

So, just to round up, after after finding alternative driver for the usb to Ethernet adapter and getting latest version of VMware, I now have UCCNC and a UC400ETH running on a MacBook Pro, using an Apple USB to Ethernet adapter running on a virtual machine with VMWare and Windows 10.
Oakfield

Return to Ask a question from support here