MR-J4-A servo driver forward / reverse pulse input

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

MR-J4-A servo driver forward / reverse pulse input

Postby sketch » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:37 pm

Hi,
I have some MR-J4-40A and MR-J4-70A AC servo drivers that I would like to use on a CNC machine. I have UCCNC with an AXBB-E controller. Firstly, does anyone have experience with using this lineup of drivers with UCCNC?

From the datasheet, the drivers take a "forward" and "reverse" pulse train for movement, which I understand to be different to a traditional "step / direction" interface

Is it possible to configure UCCNC to work with a pin for "step forward" and a pin for "step reverse"?

Manual for reference, page 3-38 https://eu-assets.contentstack.com/v3/a ... 07engt.pdf

Thanks
sketch

Re: MR-J4-A servo driver forward / reverse pulse input

Postby cncdrive » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:45 pm

Hi,

No, UCCNC can't output CW/CCW pulse trains, it can only output step/direction signals.
The easiest way would be probably to put a microcontroller or Arduino between the step/dir lines and the CW/CCW lines of the servo drives.
So, the Arduino could read the step/dir signals and convert them to CW/CCW signals.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby sketch » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:55 pm

Thanks for the quick response, however, I was hoping you wouldn't give that answer! My AC servo drivers use 24v logic, so I was hoping to use the isolated outputs.

That said, an "arduino" style microcontroller coupled with some diodes and transistors wouldn't be too hard to put together (I hope!)
sketch

Postby sketch » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:49 pm

Thought I'd paste this screen shot I saw through MR Configurator2 - in case anyone finds this.

It appears you can actually tell the servo driver to work in step/direction mode - "pulse train + sign".

Image https://imgur.com/e7mpUqm

(Driver --> Parameter --> Position control --> Input Status)

Reading from the AXBB-E datasheet, it should be more than capable of outputting at the required speeds
Port#1 pins 2. to 8. are isolated outputs. These outputs contain high speed 10Mbit/sec optocouplers and an N-channel Mosfet transistors

Ideally I need 8 ports, as I am running 2x Y axis motors. I don't have the expansion card, but I will get that to get additional 24v isolated output. In the mean time, I can share the "direction" port for the Y axis motors.

From the UCSB manual
There is a total of 12 optically isolated outputs on the UCSB board.
All outputs are electrically identical and all of them using high speed 10Mbits/sec optocouplers and
an N-channel power Mosfet with 50Volts voltage and 2Ampers current rating.
sketch

Return to Ask a question from support here