Motors only go in - Direction

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Motors only go in - Direction

Postby George M » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:22 pm

Hope someone can point me to a solution. I'm baffled.

Home built CNC machine
UCCNC software
UC300eth board
Basic BO board (two actually)

After not running my machine for the last couple of days, I went out this morning and found out the axix (all three) would not run in the + direction. They will run in the - direction but when I try to go + they will not move. Also I found my A axis (slaved to Y) was not turning at all. I replaced the driver on A with a spare I had and then it operated ok, except for the no movement in + direction.

Checked all the wiring. All seem tight. Exchanged the BO board with anther spare I had and no change. Switched from port 2 to 3, changed all the settings and still no change.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Thank you
George M

DIY CNC Machine
UCCNC
UC300eth-LPT5
UCBB
George M

Re: Motors only go in - Direction

Postby ger21 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Measure the direction pin at both the breakout board and drive for each axis, in both directions. If it's 0V in one direction, and 5V in the other, like it should be, then I'd say it's a drive issue.

Sounds like it might be a breakout board issue, since it's happening on all axis.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby George M » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 pm

Man things are getting weird. I re ran the wiring for my 5v and 12 supply. Now the motors are going as they should.

BUT --- I'm finding that UCCNC is not saving some settings and erasing others.
I have C set up as a slave. If I shut down UCCNC and restart I have to go back in and check the box to enable C.

Where previously I had my spindle working fine(via the HY plugin), now it wont go above 11880. I saw that where I had the S box set to 2151 (as per the HY plugin) now it is back to 233. But even when I reset it to 2451 the rpm wont go above 11880. If I show the HY configuration everything there is correct. It shows the min, max correctly etc.
Thank you
George M

DIY CNC Machine
UCCNC
UC300eth-LPT5
UCBB
George M

Postby cncdrive » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:35 pm

One possibility for the C axis to get disabled is if you have the laser output enabled.
The laser and the C axis cannot work together, this is a limitation of the controller which we will overcome in a later release but only for the ethernet controllers.
The USB controllers just do not have enough communication bandwidth to handle both the laser and all 6 axes, so the C axis must remain disabled if the laser is enabled.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby George M » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:45 pm

Ah, well that explains some of it. I have been in the process of setting up a laser on this machine.
It was when I switched the slave to A that it started working again.
Thank you
George M

DIY CNC Machine
UCCNC
UC300eth-LPT5
UCBB
George M

Return to Ask a question from support here