Z axis won't reverse direction and other oddities

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Z axis won't reverse direction and other oddities

Postby SwissPatriotRG » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:27 am

This is a fresh install, UC400ETH, C11G, I imported this configuration from mach3 and have been having difficulty getting Z moving the right direction. Currently, I would set the Z Dir Pin to Active Low to get Z to move up with pg-up and down with pg-down, but no matter how that Active Low switch is flipped, the axis jogs the wrong way, and the DRO reads the wrong direction. Changing the homing direction does change the direction of the homing, but not the axis direction (as expected) I've tried a number of things but just can't get this to work.

This is only the Z that shows this behavior, not the other 3 axis I'm using.

Additionally, I can't disable the B and C axis and when I try to do things like auto calibrate the soft limits on X the Y starts moving. Flipping check boxes doesn't save when pressing the save button, etc. There is all kinds of stuff happening that I can't figure out how to resolve. This is on version 1.2111
Attachments
Default.pro
(35.34 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
SwissPatriotRG

Re: Z axis won't reverse direction and other oddities

Postby cncdrive » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:45 am

Don't forget to press the Apply settings or Save settings button after making setup changes, otherwise they will not take effect.
The direction settings work the same as in mach3, if you change the Z direction active low checkbox that reverses the direction.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby SwissPatriotRG » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:08 pm

I've done that, a zillion times. Even gone into the profile file and edited it manually with notepad++ and saved it, opened UCCNC and it doesn't change the direction of the axis. If I check any other DIR Active Low box for any of the other axis, the direction changes as expected. Just not Z. Debugging the output shows the DIR Active Low doesn't change either. Could there be something wrong with the UC400ETH controller?

I installed the 1.2112 beta and am seeing the same behavior. Should I try another computer?
SwissPatriotRG

Postby SwissPatriotRG » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:10 pm

Actually, I can record a video to show the behavior. Let me fire up the machine.
SwissPatriotRG

Postby SwissPatriotRG » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:33 pm

EDIT: Youtube tag link isn't working.

Here is the video of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ze55iDNb6U

And just to double clarify the issue, if I take the same steps on the X axis as I just tried on the Z, the axis direction changes as expected. It's only the Z that refuses to change direction.
SwissPatriotRG

Postby SwissPatriotRG » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:56 pm

Another problem I've discovered is that my machine coordinates don't zero out when the machine homes. There are random numbers in the DROs.

EDIT: Figured out the machine coordinates issue.
Last edited by SwissPatriotRG on Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwissPatriotRG

Postby cncdrive » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Set the autozero checkbox in the axis setting.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Can you try to change the ports just for a test? I mean to plug that BOB and so your steppers to port#2 instead of port#1 and see if then the direction change for the Z is working or not?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby SwissPatriotRG » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:26 pm

cncdrive wrote:Can you try to change the ports just for a test? I mean to plug that BOB and so your steppers to port#2 instead of port#1 and see if then the direction change for the Z is working or not?

I'll give that a shot. For the time being, I've just swapped the stepper wires so it drives the other way.
SwissPatriotRG

Postby dezsoe » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:12 pm

You have some pins that have multiple functions. See attached image. You can enable the Pin mapping plugin to check your configuration. (It shows only the saved configuration!)

pm.png
dezsoe

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here