OpenGL 1.3

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

OpenGL 1.3

Postby RWC » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:14 am

Hi folks.
I went to setup UCCNC on my shop PC and got stopped @ "need openGL 1.3 minumim"
I searched a bit but do not see exactly where to get it from.
Anyone out there have a good link to where I can get it ?
Thanks very much,
Russ
RWC

Re: OpenGL 1.3

Postby ger21 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:20 am

You need a video card that supports it, with updated drivers.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby RWC » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:49 am

Hi Gerry.
So I guess I have onboard graphics ?

Display Adapters
Intel(R)82945G
Express Chipset Family
Driver Date 9/20/2005
Driver version 6.14.10.4396

This PC (in the house) has
Display Adapter
NVIDIA GeForce6150LE and works the SW fine.
I don't know if its a card, or onboard.

How do I know the shop graphics wont support OGL 1.3 ... if I could find the drivers ?
Thanks Gerry,
Russ
RWC

Postby ger21 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:00 am

According to Google, it supports up to 1.4.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... ss-Chipset
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby RWC » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:25 am

I'll take that one out and try it.
I tried a different dwnld from there and the install would not run, not compatible. I think I grabbed the wrong one. (hope so)

Also, the manual says "need .NET 2 but the sw here shuts down and says it needs .NET4. I found and went to load .NET4 and it fails to load.
Does the new release require 4 ? and the lockdown version req. 2 ?

What do I do to get .NET4 loaded ?
All other HW seems to be adequate according to the manual. I think :?
Thanks,
Russ
RWC

Postby cncdrive » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:52 am

.NET framework: What operating system? The manual describes in each version what .NET framework is needed.
For .NET 2.0: It is included in Windows 7. And have to be installed on XP from file. And the .NET 3.5 has to be enabled in the Windows features in Win 8, 8.1 and 10.
For .NET 4.0: It has to be installed from file on XP, 7. And it is part of the Win 8.,8.1 and 10 Operating systems, so on these it does not have to be installed.
Furthermore .NET 4.0 framework is backwards compatible with all .NET4.x versions where x is a number, this means that for example if .NET 4.6 is installed on a PC then the .NET 4.0 UCCNC will run without the .NET 4.0 framework installed.

OpenGL: OpenGL is just a recommendation, a standard for 3D accelerated graphics. It is not software, but it is a recommendation about how 3D accelerated graphics should work on computers.
Graphics cards manufacturers concretize those recommendations and building software implementations following the recommendation and putting that into their graphics card chipsets and building driver software which supports those chipset codes on different operating systems (e.g. Windows).
Because OpenGL is not a software you can't download it and because it is built into your graphics card, flashed into a chip on the card you can't update it. The OpenGL what your graphics card have is permanent, you can't update it. If your card has for example OpenGL definition 1.5 then it will always have that, you can't install a newer version.
If your graphics card driver is not installed then the problem is that Windows will not know how to use the card for graphics acceleration. Windows will be unable to use graphics acceleration, because it does not know the OpenGL capabilities of the card and it can't talk the OpenGL language with the card, because the software (the drivers with the OpenGL functions definitions) is missing.
So, then when Windows asks the card about it's OpenGL capabilities like about the OpenGL version it can use with Windows then the card will tell OpenGL 1.0 or 1.1, because it sees that there are no drivers on the computer which supports higher OpenGL version functions and so it can only talk the basic 1.0 or 1.1 OpenGL language with Windows because those are part of the OSes. And so then the UCCNC will not work, because it requires OpenGL 1.3 or higher.
OpenGL 1.3 is very old, it was released in 1999, so any newer graphics card will work with the UCCNC, but the card graphics drivers have to be installed for the above mentioned reason.

I hope my description makes these things clear. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby RWC » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:01 am

Yes, thanks. The graphics description makes perfect sense. Updating the chipset driver had no effect, still only supports 1.1
I will get a card.
Now, this is the PC:

XP Pro Version 2002
SP 3
Intel Pentium 4 - 3.20 GHz
3.19 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

I click to install Setup 1.2109 and I get a window to select ENGLISH.
Click OK and immediately get this (pic)

Is this normal ?

Thanks again,
Russ
Attachments
.NET-framework 4.0.jpg
RWC

Postby RWC » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:21 am

Because the manual says XP only needs .NET2, I tried the download from the link in the manual and got the following: (pic)
I thought just maybe that was a typo in the earlier error message that said 4 instead of 2.

The earlier version 1.2049 will load completely but will not run due to the graphics issue.
Attachments
Cannot continue  dotnet2.jpg
RWC

Postby RWC » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:23 am

and of course, that link in the last message went to here : (pic)
Attachments
no exist.jpg
RWC

Postby cncdrive » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:05 am

Russ,

The UCCNC version 1.2109 and several previous 1.21xx versions running on the .NET framework 4.0
Prior to that all versions ran on .NET 2.0, but we upgraded to .NET 4.0 because it supports more and newer Visual Studio libraries so .NET 4 is better for developers.

Try this link for the .Net 4.0 framework download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=17718
cncdrive
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here