New Build -- Reset Logic Active // E-Stop not reading

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Re: New Build -- Reset Logic Active // E-Stop not reading

Postby jasoneule » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 pm

The proximity sensors are NPN and on the i/o screen when triggered the green light goes out on the i/o monitor and a green light lights up on the middle row function monitor to the correct axis association. This seems to work just fine.

Now the interesting part...

When I turned it all on today, I forgot I left the g540's charge pump switch in the off position yesterday when testing everything again. To my amazement, I was able to clear uccnc software reset and move all axes correctly.

At this point, with it all working, there was no light on pin 15 in i/o like there was in the screen shot above. So I decided to switch the g540 charge pump switch back to the on position to see if uccnc would reset and stop. It did not and continued to function normally.

Next was to test the e-stop. Once I pushed this everything stopped, and the software went into reset mode. A state change was noted at this point in time on i/o diagnostics screen.

However now with it triggered, when pulling the e-stop back out to reset, the software was again stuck on the same unresponsive reset loop as originally. No movement was possible.

Also of note, the state change light was not indicating estop on/off at this point, like before. Basically it did not recognize it.

So, what are your thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks,
jasoneule

Postby cncdrive » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Those voltages 1V and 3.87V are on the edge of the trigger levels, so probably they will sometimes work and sometimes not.
They should be <0.6V for low level and >4.0V for high level.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 pm

However now with it triggered, when pulling the e-stop back out to reset,

Did the LED on the diagnostic page go out when you pulled the estop button out?

Sounds like maybe a bad button, or loose wires on the estop button circuit?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby jasoneule » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:42 pm

On the low end of voltage for estop, it is not 1v. It is100mv or . 1v.

Estop diagnostic led did not go out when pulled out. Software seems to not recognize it.
jasoneule

Postby cncdrive » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:42 am

Can you check the input pin of the UC100 directly?
Just disconnect the UC100 from the G540 and pull a piece of wire or something electrically conductive and put it between the e-stop input pin of the UC100 and any of the pins 18 to 25. (ground).
And check the diagnostics screen to see if the pin LED and the e-stop LED changes?
If it does then the motion controller and the software recognises the input properly and then the issue is that the G540 does not give the proper voltages.
Or if it does not then the input pin of the UC100 is broken.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby dezsoe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 am

At this point, with it all working, there was no light on pin 15 in i/o like there was in the screen shot above. So I decided to switch the g540 charge pump switch back to the on position to see if uccnc would reset and stop. It did not and continued to function normally.

Next was to test the e-stop. Once I pushed this everything stopped, and the software went into reset mode. A state change was noted at this point in time on i/o diagnostics screen.

However now with it triggered, when pulling the e-stop back out to reset, the software was again stuck on the same unresponsive reset loop as originally. No movement was possible.

I have an idea. I read the G540 manual, but it doesn't mention that if the charge pump is not running then it also gives a fault signal, but I think it does. So, when you enable charge pump watching and go to reset then you cannot come back, because there's no charge pump. Could you try to check "Charge pump always on" on the I/O settings page and try again?
dezsoe

Postby jasoneule » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:57 pm

***GOOD NEWS***

Well I believe I am up and running, I still need to dial it in, but I can move the machine with out issue and the e-stop problem has disappeared along with the reset software loop.

Per cncdrive's suggestion I tested the UC100 with 2 wires, one on pin 15 (e-stop) and one on pin 24 (ground). When touched together the software would come out of reset, when not, it would stop as if the e-stop was pushed. A state change on the LED was shown on the I/O screen. From this troubleshooting, it showed that both the UC100 and UCCNC were working as intended in this scenario.

I thought, crap!!!, my G540 is definitely the culprit now due to the voltages, time to contact GeckoDrive...BUT

Before I did that I figured I would try what dezsoe suggested and check "Charge pump always on" (which I had done before early on when I set it up and it did not seem to work. I think I did not have my proximity sensors configured right at that time and not knowing any better dismissed it as a solution) This time, with every thing in place, it worked like a champ.

So for any Gecko G540 users out there that run into this problem, this is the solution. Even though the G540's high voltage on the e-stop is 3.87v, which just misses the high voltage UCCNC is asking for >4V ... It must be close enough because it is working.

Thank you all so much for offering quick insight to get this thing up and running.

-Jason
jasoneule

Postby dezsoe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:26 pm

Fine! :)
dezsoe

Previous

Return to Ask a question from support here