Connects but won't operate

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Connects but won't operate

Postby Silver » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:43 am

I have the UC100, running a BOB on Mach3 all operates correctly.

Downloaded the demo version a few days ago.

Purchased UCCNC software yesterday and followed the info given for installing the license and was all good.

The green light is on and then once UCCNC software started the blue one comes on and can hear connectivity on the BOB and steppers "lock"

Problem 1.
When I try to create a new profile I get the pop up of "text field empty" as per pics below.

UCCNC-profile fault-1.JPG

UCCNC-profile fault-1.JPG

I have managed to upload the Mach 3 xml file and the settings for the steppers, port settings corresponds with Mach3 setup.

When I try to run the steppers I get no output, any ideas or guidance would be appreciated.

FYI, I downloaded and read up on the documentation and followed all the steps and everything seems to be as it should. have I missed something?

All replies gratefully appreciated.
Attachments
UCCNC-profile fault-2.JPG
Silver

Re: Connects but won't operate

Postby cncdrive » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:00 pm

If the blue light is on then the motion controller is operating and communicating without problems, in other words your license key is working.
If your machine is not moving then some settings are missing from your config. I would manually compare/verify especially the step/dir port and pin numbers in the axis config and also the enable signals and the charge pump signal settings. I mean to visually compare the settings in mach3 and uccnc.

That message you posted you got because the DRO is empty when you trying to create the profile.
The UCCNC requires you to press the ENTER keyboard key to finish input the the DRO, otherwise it will not accept the typed in string.
This behaviour is optional, but is turned on by default, you can switch it off if you want on the Appearance tab page, there is a checkbox setting for it to turn it on/off and if it is off then you do not have to press ENTER key...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Robertspark » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Have a look at the UCCNC documentation that is installed within the default c:\uccnc\documentation folder

The uccnc manual installed in this folder is specific to the version of uccnc you installed hence it will reflect all of the current functions that are available and all of the settings that are available to you at that point of time. If you update UCCNC, a new file will be installed which will update according to what you are currently using.

Get to know your manual as it is very comprehensive, and I believe well written.

UCCNC is different to Mach3 and has a number of settings that are unique to it from Mach3 so when you import your XML file it will not set up these settings correctly as it does not know what to set them up at and will use the default settings.
The important ones (that affect cut quality) are on the general settings tab, linear error max, linear addition length max, linear unify length max, corner error max. Please have a read of the manual around the section that deals with these items as they don't exist in Mach3 and may cause you grief.

get to know the manual.... + use search on the forum as I'm sure the road has been well traveled where you are.

A useful tip is to read the manual a few times that is relevant to where you are in your implementation of uccnc...... no point reading about macros M and G codes if you're still trying to get and verify motion...... likewise if you are comparing Mach3 to uccnc with regards to finish you want to look at the machine setup parameters like corner error max (and the discussions on here).
Robertspark

Postby Silver » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Robertspark wrote:Have a look at the UCCNC documentation that is installed within the default c:\uccnc\documentation folder

get to know the manual.... + use search on the forum as I'm sure the road has been well traveled where you are.

A useful tip is to read the manual a few times that is relevant to where you are in your implementation of uccnc...... no point reading about macros M and G codes if you're still trying to get and verify motion...... likewise if you are comparing Mach3 to uccnc with regards to finish you want to look at the machine setup parameters like corner error max (and the discussions on here).

Sat and read all 82 pages of it the first time I downloaded the software (8 hours later), also searched the forum but nothing came up on what I had searched for.

Checked and double checked the BOB documentation/configuration and all pins and ports are correct for enable and motor settings.

Can now make a new profile, thanks for that advice.

But still refuses to move, rebooted MAch3 and loaded new firmware and all operates as it should. All motor and port details are correct as per Mach3.

Screen shot of motor and port settings, sure I am not missing anything.

UCCNC-profile fault-3.JPG
Silver

Postby Robertspark » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:52 pm

I see you are using the drive "ENABLE" pin. This is set as active low, have you tried flipping it to active high?

When you run gcode does it run... just no motion?

can you post your profile here (c:\uccnc\profiles \ *.pro you will need to rename it to *.txt
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:55 pm

can you post your Mach3 XML file too

What break out board are you running?
Robertspark

Postby Silver » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Robertspark wrote:I see you are using the drive "ENABLE" pin. This is set as active low, have you tried flipping it to active high?

When you run gcode does it run... just no motion?

can you post your profile here (c:\uccnc\profiles \ *.pro you will need to rename it to *.txt

Tried Flipping active high/low but no changes.

No movement with gcode or jog commands.

Text file attached.

Using a 5 axis OMC bob.

UCCNCMach3.txt
(31 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
Silver

Postby Robertspark » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:42 pm

I dont know if it is this, but why do you have the following pins assigned:
X-axis Limt - & + = pin 12.... which is also the Z-axis home pin...
Y axis home pin is pin 10 .... which is also the Estop pin (IO Setup page)
The probe pin is pin 11.... which is also your Y axis Home pin

I'd suggest starting again and setting up your pins correctly with a new profile
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Your estop was also set as active low and the X axis home is Active high....

Something is wrong with your profile, it will take you 20 mins to set it up at most.

(maybe there is a bug in the XML convert tool
Robertspark

Postby dezsoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:41 pm

As Rob wrote, there are some strange settings. You could enable the Pin mapping plugin with which you can check your settings:

silver.png

(The plugin shows only the saved settings, so you have to save and then you can check.)
dezsoe

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here