Running First Gcode

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Running First Gcode

Postby drxlcarfreak » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi all! I just got my machine up and running, but am having trouble making the machine run Gcode the way I expected it. This is my first machine and experience in CNC, so I imagine it user error.

I am running UCCNC with the Ger21 2017 Screenset through a UC300ETH-5LPT. I wired and setup the spindle, motors and inductance sensors for limits and homing. I was also able to easily calibrate the machine, and jog it however I please. I do have a side question about when homing the X and Y slams into the stops/sensor before the motors fully stop, but I imagine I need some pictures to be able to fix that issue.

Oh, I am using Fusion360 with the UCCNC post processor to create the Gcode. I believe that is all of the information needed to understand my issue, if not let me know!

My main issue is running the Gcode the way I interpret how to do it. I do not have a probe or corner finder set up yet, so I basically just move the spindle to the part on my piece I want to cut, and then zero the current coordinates. When I click cycle start I get an initial movement preparation popup, and if I click okay, it appears that the "Move Z-axis first to safeZ height" which is showing as 25 starts move the Z axis up until it gets stopped by the homing switch. However, if I click cancel and start cycle again the Z axis just digs right into the table immediately before even trying to turn the spindle on. I have tried changing the different offsets thinking I wasn't using them correctly, but it seems pretty consistent.

I did notice that when I home the machine, both X and Y are at 0, but Z is at 50. Does that have anything to do with this? I understand that is the top of travel for the Z so it would be the higher number, but seeing as my units are inches and my total z travel is about 6", true Z0 would be on my floor. Is there a way to change this so that the machine coordinates is 0 at my spoilboard and homing brings it to whatever the height is above that, say 6.5? Or does this just not matter at all and I am over thinking it here?
drxlcarfreak

Re: Running First Gcode

Postby Robertspark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:33 pm

Can you post your code please

What units are you working in and how big is the travel of your machine (may be helpful to post your profile too)
Robertspark

Postby Dan911 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:38 pm

Go to Configuration/Axis Setup/Z-Axis and change your Write offset on Homing to 0 from 50.

Dan
Last edited by Dan911 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan911

Postby Robertspark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:39 pm

If you look on the configuration and axis screens there is a setting for axis homing offset, which looks like it is set for 50units (mm i presume)

So when the axis is homes it will offset the axis 50mm above the table / spoil board.

Again.... How large is the axis travel of your machine?

If the next command is g0 z25, then the machine will rapid move down to 25mm above the table... If the table or material is in the way then crash!

The spindle is normally turned on with m03

Hence you'll need an m03 somewhere to turn the spindle on
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:41 pm

..... Oops .... Sorry i did not read the post fully....

You are working in inches.....

If the home position z is 6" above the table or spoil board.... The set your z offset for 6.0
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Also looks like you are using a metric post processor or are working in metric units in fusion
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:14 pm

When I click cycle start I get an initial movement preparation popup

This is what you see when you click Run From Here, not Cycle Start.
Are you clicking Run From Here at some point?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby drxlcarfreak » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:15 pm

Sorry, this was my first post. I will have to update my profile! My machine is a modified 2'x4' Fineline Automation machine that I got widened another 13" so the travels per their specs 41"x 52"x 10" (though half of that Z travel is into the table, doesn't make much sense to me, so I do plan to raise the gantry one day if I can get this machine working!)

I attached my code. The processor I am using I downloaded from here: https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts . There are only two options when I search for UCCNC, I used the generic one, not the stepcraft one.

Go to Configuration/Axis Setup/Z-Axis and change your Write offset on Homing to 0 from 50.

Hmm, I totally see that in the stock screenset, but it must be removed or relocated in the 2017 Screenset, I will have to take a look for that.

If you look on the configuration and axis screens there is a setting for axis homing offset, which looks like it is set for 50units (mm i presume)

So when the axis is homes it will offset the axis 50mm above the table / spoil board.

If the next command is g0 z25, then the machine will rapid move down to 25mm above the table... If the table or material is in the way then crash!

The spindle is normally turned on with m03

Hence you'll need an m03 somewhere to turn the spindle on

Ok, that is starting to make a bit of sense. I do have the M3 command for 18000rpm, but before that, I do have the G0 G53 Z0. It looks like the G53 is fouling me up since that is machine 0, not offset 0. So when I hit cancel on that inital movement preparation page, I think it ignores that Move Z-axis first to safeZ height and just plunges into the table.

Also looks like you are using a metric post processor or are working in metric units in fusion

I did glance in the post language, but didn't want to mess with anything, I did see MM, so you may be right there. Is there a better post processor for UCCNC in inches?
Attachments
UCCNC Post.zip
(423.3 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
drxlcarfreak

Postby drxlcarfreak » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:21 pm

ger21 wrote:This is what you see when you click Run From Here, not Cycle Start.
Are you clicking Run From Here at some point?

Ahh, yes! I try and restart it about 20 times to figure out what I did wrong!

Hey Ger21! I was going to try and look it up, but here you are. Any idea where/how I can change the axis homing offset? Is this the Machine Zero Offset (home sw. position) in your screenset?
drxlcarfreak

Postby ger21 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:41 pm

Yes
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here