Whale 3 drives damaged

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Whale 3 drives damaged

Postby Alanmaker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:15 am

I stupidly reverersed the digital 12v power to my lathe drives and now think the whale3 drives are damaged. I can still see both drives in servoconfigorator and update the firmware but cannot load data or operate them within mach3. The status leds look ok with the flashing led showing the drive is running, however this soon freezes when i try and do anything.
I am going to attempt repair myself. I suspect one or more of the logic chips are damaged so would appreciate some likely suspects to examine and replace. A schematic would be great!
Alanmaker

Re: Whale 3 drives damaged

Postby cncdrive » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am

You can't damage the Whale3 drives with reverse connecting the 12V PSU voltage, because the drive has reverse polarity protection built in.
That you have normal LEDs activity and that you can update the firmware both indicates the same that the drive is not damaged from the reverse voltage,
if that would damage the drive then there would be sure no LEDs activity from the drive at all and you could also not update the firmware.

So, the problem should be something else.
One thing to verify which I can thing of now is the 12V power supply powering the drive, I mean check if it's voltage is OK, is stabile?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Re: Whale 3 drives damaged

Postby Alanmaker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Thank you. All ok now and i am much relieved
It seems that it may have been a firmware corruption on both drives.
At first i could not get into the parameter or diagnostic pages and even first attempts of firmware upgrades failed
Eventually i managed to upgrade the firmware and although it reported unable to load data, i could at last get to parameters page to find all pid data was set to 1. Luckily i had this written down and all was ok when i restored it to proper values.
Alanmaker

Return to Ask a question from support here