User fields update bug?

If you think you've found a bug post it here.

Re: User fields update bug?

Postby A_Camera » Wed May 03, 2017 2:31 pm

ger21 wrote:I did run into an issue that only happened on a Korean language PC, but it couldn't be duplicated by switching the language to Korean. But the issue went away when the user switched to English. I need to go back and revisit that, as some code was added to help troubleshoot, but I'd been busy and forgot.
So, anything's possible.

The English and the Korean character sets are not the same, so that may be the issue. On the other hand, English and Hungarian are also different from each. Then again, the Hungarian character set is pretty similar to the Swedish, except for one single letter, which only exists in the Swedish... and a few which only exists in the Hungarian... :lol:

It only shows that the World is pretty complicated...
A_Camera

Postby cncdrive » Wed May 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi Josef,

I can make a logging exe for you if you willing to run it to test and then we will probably see why the issue happens.
I can't guarantee that we will find the reason quickly, for first test, but could narrow down in a few steps and could get to the bottom.
I can make a test exe over the weekend, because this week is pretty flooded for me, so please let me know if you can run some tests.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Wed May 03, 2017 4:19 pm

cncdrive wrote:Hi Josef,

I can make a logging exe for you if you willing to run it to test and then we will probably see why the issue happens.
I can't guarantee that we will find the reason quickly, for first test, but could narrow down in a few steps and could get to the bottom.
I can make a test exe over the weekend, because this week is pretty flooded for me, so please let me know if you can run some tests.

Hi Balázs,

No problem, of course I can run a test version. It is very easy to simulate since it is happening all the time.

What I think it is, or at least was the case with Windows was that every version, regardless where it is distributed, contained and English OS part and a national part. Meaning that a Hungarian Windows contained the part for Hungarian and a part for English, a Korean distribution was Korean + English, a Swedish was Swedish + English. So, English is common in everyone, and since you developed the software on computers distributed in Hungary, you also have Hungarian. This could explain why it seems to work in Hungary and in every English country, but Koreans and Swedes may have problems with certain features. Just guessing, of course, but this was indeed a problem with the XP + the Office package I used almost 20 years ago. I learned about the issue because I moved to France from Sweden in 1998 for three years and needed to use some French software which refused to run on my Swedish computers and I had to go through hell just to be able to install French spelling and grammar on my Swedish computers, then when I tried to install French OS on one computer the problem was the opposite, went through hell to be able to install Swedish grammar and spelling... so at that time I learned/experienced about this issue. I don't know if this is still the same with W10, I was hoping it would not be and in fact, today spelling and grammar works in all languages in MS Office, so maybe I am far off and this is not the issue at all. Though, I also remember another user of UCCNC who had some sort of issue which he experienced with his German installation and fixed it through installing English version of W10. I won't do that, not permanently anyway, and if the problem is not fixable I'll just live with it, or come up with a different solution, but it would be good to know if it is or is not the case.

Anyway, this is not the highest priority for me, but since I started this, of course I'll help to find out the cause.
Thank you anyway, even if you won't manage to fix it.
A_Camera

Postby cncdrive » Wed May 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi Josef,

OK, thank you.
I'll create some logging points around the function calls of your example macro and will also place a logging point at the place where you click the DRO and when you say the issue happens visually.
I will try to make this asap, but probably can do it only over the weekend and will e-mail you the files asap.

And you may be right, but we can probably dig deeper to understand how exactly the issue happens and if we will see then we can sure find a solution to handle it.

And we have at least 2-3000 German users and those users probably using German Windows ... at least most of them, but I've have never heard about any problems, so I guess the issue does not effect at least the Germany Windows.
With the Korean Windows we already know that it does not have the ° character in the charset which is really strange BTW. :)
And I'm curios to see what the issue is with the Swedish Windows.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Fri May 05, 2017 8:33 am

Update:

I don't understand what is going on. Made a new test and now it seems that the behaviour is right, if I set the field type for my user fields (#20002 and #20003) to fieldnb and not textfieldnb. I am pretty sure I tested before with fieldnb as well and it didn't work. Anyway, if it works as fieldnb then I am happy as it is. Just need to update the screen file I distributed and everything is fine. Before I do that I need to go home and test on my other PCs also, so it won't be before tonight that I'll know for sure, but hopefully it works and in that case nothing is to be fixed. ...unless it has to work also as textfieldnb, which I think it should, but it isn't important for me as long as it works one way or the other.

In other words, Balázs, please don't spend time on this for now and I apologize if I caused some extra work.
A_Camera

Previous

Return to Report a bug