High RAM usage and climbing

If you think you've found a bug post it here.

High RAM usage and climbing

Postby Sam Plasma Cut » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:34 am

I'm using the latest version of UCCNC with no plugins running (computer and other specs below). We have had some issue with UCCNC skipping commands its sending to the controller UC400 we narrowed down the issue to a poor system so we upgraded. This has fixed this issue but a new one with similar symptoms has arose. When UCCNC is connected to the controller and a file is loaded the ram usage by the program will continually climb. once the RAM being used starts to reach the system limit we get issues which would relate to low system resources which makes sense since they are being used up. The question is why is UCCNC trying to use so much ram but it ends up climbing slowly up to the system limit of 7.8GB (1 stick of 8GB RAM installed) once it reaches that limit it will cache about 1-4GB of that data and then start again. We don't have this issue on other machines or computers before. Things to note are this only happens when a file is loaded otherwise the RAM usage will stop climbing and it seams to climb faster with larger file sizes. I have attached photos of task manager.

Any help would be amazing

System were using

HP 290 G3 SFF i3-10100 Desktop
Intel i3 10th gen
8GB RAM DDR4 x1
SSD
Win 10 Home
Attachments
UCCNC_WIN10_HP_RESOURCE_ISSUES_[9].jpg
UCCNC_WIN10_HP_RESOURCE_ISSUES_[3].jpg
UCCNC_WIN10_HP_RESOURCE_ISSUES_[4].jpg
Sam Plasma Cut

Re: High RAM usage and climbing

Postby dezsoe » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:57 am

What is the latest release? 1.2111 or 1.2114? Please, always write exact version number, thanks. Also, what is the size of the loaded g-code? Is UCCNC just started, loaded a file and standing idle while the memory fills up?
dezsoe

Postby Sam Plasma Cut » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:04 pm

dezsoe wrote:What is the latest release? 1.2111 or 1.2114? Please, always write exact version number, thanks. Also, what is the size of the loaded g-code? Is UCCNC just started, loaded a file and standing idle while the memory fills up?

using the 1.2111 version and it is happening with any Gcode loaded of any size largest we have loaded being just over 100kb, this happens after a software restart and after a pc restart and will happen just after restart and will continue to happen until the it is closed. It will happen even if it is idle and if it is controlling a machine.
Sam Plasma Cut

Postby dezsoe » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:06 pm

OK, thanks, I'll check it with 1.2111. (1.2114 does not eat up the memory, as I see.)
dezsoe

Postby dezsoe » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:59 pm

I couldn't reproduce it. I started up UCCNC 1.2111 with the Plasma profile and UC400 connected. I loaded a 11MB g-code file. UCCNC was using 701MB of memory. After letting it stay idle for more than 30 minutes I checked and UCCNC used 560MB. i used Windows 10 x64 on a 4GB i5 HP EliteBook.
dezsoe

Postby Sam Plasma Cut » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:23 am

dezsoe wrote:I couldn't reproduce it. I started up UCCNC 1.2111 with the Plasma profile and UC400 connected. I loaded a 11MB g-code file. UCCNC was using 701MB of memory. After letting it stay idle for more than 30 minutes I checked and UCCNC used 560MB. i used Windows 10 x64 on a 4GB i5 HP EliteBook.

could you tell me the exact windows version and release on that computer this would be really helpfull
Sam Plasma Cut

Postby dezsoe » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:18 am

Yes, fully updated Hungarian Windows 10 x64.

winver.png
dezsoe

Postby cncdrive » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:35 am

It sounds like a .net framework problem.
Looks like as if the garbage collection in the .net framework on your system is not working properly.

The UCCNC continously creating new objects and disposing them. If the object disposal is not working could pump the RAM usage up unlimited.
Garbage collection is handled automatically in the .net framework.

So, maybe try to reinstall the .net framework to see if it makes any changes.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby PaulSgrillo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:32 pm

I have been using a Lenovo T460 Thinkpad, Windows 10 64 bi with 16 gig of ram . I am having the same issue with continuing memory usage when the system is running. I have a stepcraft 840D as my machine. I have updated my graphics driver for the Intel HD 520 on my lenovo. Have not yet tried to roll back Net Framework from 4.8 to 4.7. Not sure what that would accomplish. Wha I have done is hit the ToolPath on/off screen button and the memory usage no longer grows. Can now leave the machine running for extended periods with no crash due to system memory overload. Strange as I have used this with an old desktop and a dell laptop with no issues.
Not a great work around but for the time being it is where I will operate from.
Paul
PaulSgrillo

Postby PaulSgrillo » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:20 pm

I finally have resolved the memory leak problem on my Lenovo thinkpad t460. After trying several different attempts and all having no success, I bit the bullet and removed the graphics driver and associated files from the computer. I installed an intel suggested application called "Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)" and followed the steps from this intel page 'https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091878/graphics.html". After rebooting and letting the system install the intel drivers from the Microsoft web site, which then did another reboot, I started the UCCNC application and the problem was not there. When I loaded a 6 meg vcarve pro generated file, the memory consumption went to a little over 635 meg and was stable.
It looks like the tweaks that the OEMs do to the graphics card drivers is the culprit for memory runaway. Glad to get this resolved as I can now use this inexpensive laptop in my dusty workshop.
Thanks to the UCCNC group for suggesting the places to look for the problem. Never had an issue with the other laptop I used before.
Paul
PaulSgrillo

Return to Report a bug