UCCNC closes unexpectedly

If you think you've found a bug post it here.

UCCNC closes unexpectedly

Postby Kitwn » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:48 am

I have had a problem where UCCNC closes without warning. The first symptom is the machine motors are disabled then the program closes a few seconds later with no warning pop-up. The attached picture is a screen grab from Event Viewer in Windows 10. The times agree with two instances of this occurring. It has only ever happened when the machine is idle, not during a cut.

Based on another reported fault I wondered if this could be a USB problem. I use a USB Nintendo style game controller and the X-Box 360 plug-in as a pendant. Unplugging the pendant caused the same problem to occur immediately.
Changing to a different USB port on the other side of the HP laptop I use for UCCNC stopped this happening and I can unplug/re-plug the pendant from this port without problem.

I thought the above change of USB port had solved the problem but the software closed again yesterday after the machine had been idle for some time. I have also found the pendant unresponsive even if unplugged/re-plugged if left idle for a long time. Jogging from the laptop works normally when this happens. Closing and restarting UCCNC brings th pendant back to life.

I have now disabled the ability of W10 to stop all USB controllers to save power in Device Manager and in Power Plan. I will have to wait to see if this clears up the problem. The laptop is always used plugged into the mains.

Has anyone seen a similar problem before?

UCCNC errors.png
Kitwn

Re: UCCNC closes unexpectedly

Postby cncdrive » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:57 pm

Could you please verify if the issue happens with the plugin fully disabled.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Kitwn » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:45 am

I'll try working without the plug-in over the coming days.

Kit
Kitwn

Postby cncdrive » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:37 am

OK, please let us know how it goes.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Kitwn » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:29 am

I've at last managed to use the machine for most of a day. Without the X-Box plug-in enabled UCCNC works perfectly so the problem is definitely to do with the plug-in and/or my use of a USB Nintendo style controller instead of an X-Box 360 or clone. Apart from the shut-downs, the buttons all work as expected on the Nintendo controller and the fault has never occurred when the machine is cutting or I'm using the controller so I'm not sure if this would be the problem.
As described above, changing to a different USB port seemed to cure the problem for a while.

Kit
Kitwn

Postby cncdrive » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:36 am

Is it the xbox plugin made by us (CNCdrive) or is it a 3rd party plugin?
You can check this in the plugins configuration, in the author field.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Kitwn » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:20 am

I'm using the Xbox360 controller included with UCCNC. The author is CNCdrive Kft.
I'm planning on installing UCCNC onto a desktop PC running W7 and trying the same plugin and game controller combination to see how that works. I've checked the BIOS settings (nothing relevant available to configure) and USB drivers for the laptop as I still suspect it's specific to the hardware/software of that machine.

The laptop is a ten year old HP Pavillion dv6 with an intel i7 processor. It originally came with W7 but has been upgraded to W10.

Regards

Kit
Kitwn

Postby Kitwn » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:00 am

I have switched from the laptop to an old desktop PC running W7. Everything works perfectly now, including the Nintendo style USB game controller running the Xbox 360 plug-in.

Kit
Kitwn

Postby A_Camera » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:17 am

Good news, but did you try to downgrade the laptop to W7? Maybe the W10 upgrade was not as it supposed to be.
A_Camera

Return to Report a bug