Spindle turns on full speed during firmware update

If you think you've found a bug post it here.

Spindle turns on full speed during firmware update

Postby chjade84 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:24 pm

This isn't ok behavior. When the firmware updates upon launch the spindle turns on full speed - before the software has even opened. Obviously a huge safety problem.

I'm running a Hitachi VFD using the PWM outputs for speed and two of the relays to control direction. This only happens on firmware update and not on normal launch of the hardware.

EDIT: It does not seem to do it if you have the Estop open but that's not something that should be relied on.
chjade84

Re: Spindle turns on full speed during firmware update

Postby ger21 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:26 am

You're system should be wired with safeties in place so that can't happen. The spindle should be able to run until the software (which controls it) is running. I use the charge pump, so that I can't even power up the system until the software is running.
What controller and breakout board are you using? Different breakout boards can give different results before the software has control.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Re: Spindle turns on full speed during firmware update

Postby Robertspark » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:38 am

It sounds like you are using the outputs in active low state, so that when the machine starts and it loads the firmware the motion controller is driving the outputs active low and that is driving your spindle to run and at full speed .

The reason is because you have wired up the system to invert the signals and require an active low input to drive the output.

I would suggest having a look at your wiring configuration and see what your options are.

The breakout board has to be in some state when it is starting and firmware updating (pins pulled active high or active low)..... You just have just ended up with the wrong option on that coin toss
Robertspark

Return to Report a bug