Z Axis Probing

Forum for Discussing Mach3/4 related issues

Z Axis Probing

Postby fishman463 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:59 pm

Win11 PC
G540 Controller
UC400ETH

Switched from M3 to M4 about 6 weeks ago. The switch actually went much better than i expected and everything was working ginger peachy until today. Been off the machine for about 2 weeks due to vacation and other responsibilities but I have a retirement gift that I need to carve so here I am.

Got the machine all set to carve today and ran into an issue. I am totally paranoid, so when I zero the Z I always grab the puck and tap the bit a few times to make sure it is registering. I got the little blue LED blink on the M$ screen so I set the puck on the workpiece, clicked the probe button and promptly drove my 15 deg v-bit right into my touch plate. Had to hit the e-stop. At the bottom left of M4 i see ERROR: No Contact With Probe but the touch led on the screen is still on, so obviously it is touching. I swore a lot, rebooted pc, restarted M4 and tried again with no bit. When I hit the z probe button, the z starts down and when i touch it with the puck, it stops, does not retract, causes the digital e-stop (whatever it's called) to trip and gives the ERROR: No Contact With Probe statement again.

I have made no changes to any hardware or software so not sure what the issue could be. I reached out to ArtSoft support and they naturally blamed the UC400ETH plugin. As far as I can tell there have been no changes to the plugin and I don't think that it automatically updates anyway.

I really need to get going on a retirement gift, so If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
fishman463

Re: Z Axis Probing

Postby gills » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:56 am

I run Mach 3, but I have had that error message before. Double check all of your probe connections from the router and plate back to the box and inside the box. I had a broke wire on my gx16 connector that caused mine.
gills

Re: Z Axis Probing

Postby fishman463 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:15 am

The wiring has to be good. I can see the light turn on and off whenever I touch the bit with the puck. I can also see it in the diagnostics screen for M4 as well as the UC400ETH. The machine definitely sees the 'touch' it's just being stupid after it does.
fishman463

Return to Mach3/4 Discussions