AXBB-E motion controller defective?

Forum for Discussing Mach3/4 related issues

AXBB-E motion controller defective?

Postby gills » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:49 pm

I am building my second cnc router in my shop.(R&P on this one), and i am using the AXBB-E controller just as I did in my first machine. I have been running the first one for a while now without any issues. I just finished building the control box yesterday and was doing some tests, and I get some motor movement and then they stop. There is no vibrations or motor jumping so I know the wiring s fine, plus I have double checked my connections on the motor side and the controller side. The controller is also triggering the emergency stop function in Mach 3 and I don't even have any of my inputs plugged in and I also have all of them turned off in Mach 3. I never had these issues with the first one. I followed my wiring of my first unit and double checked it with the UCCCNC diagrams. Could I possibly have a defective controller?
gills

Re: AXBB-E motion controller defective?

Postby gills » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:20 am

axbb-e wiring.pdf
(86.52 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Here is a quick drawing of how I have it wired. Again I don't under stand what is throwing random emergency stop triggers every 10-20 seconds in MAch 3. I have all inputs turned off except for the e-stop which Mach keeps turning back on after I disable it. Again i have my original controller wired this way and I haven't had these issues. The only other thing I have are some new NPN type NO sensors instead of the small mechanical limit switches that I have on the original kit. I have them wired per UCCNC drawings for NO type. Again they are not turned on currently and are not even connected to the controller right now. @CNCDrive if you have any insight please let me know. I really like this controller and I need to figure out what is going on.
gills

Postby gills » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:58 am

Guys I just removed the x axis wiring from the panel to the stepper motor driver, cut away the heat shrink and the solder connections were solid. I went ahead and removed the wires and resoldered for new wires and plugged the X axis back in and turned on Mach 3. Again no other input is connected to the box, just one motor and the motion controller. I got the same no movement and it continues to trip the emergency stop active in Mach 3 about every 20-30 seconds. This is the second one I have wired for me and I have helped 3 other people wire their boards up. I still believe this is a defective board and would like to hear back. @cncdrive could pressing the reset button possibly fix any of this or can it mess with any of my current settings? I just double checked the power to the board with the multimeter, and it is getting 24v and 5v. Thank you and I hope to hear from you.
gills

Postby ger21 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:34 pm

Disconnect the estop switch, and see if it works. Could be noise triggering the switch input. If it works without the switch wired, it's most likely a noise issue. Mach3 has a debounce function, but I don't know if the AXBB-E plugin supports it.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby gills » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:17 pm

@ger21, I thought of that this morning and I disconnected the e stop from the controller as well as disconnecting the wiring from the connector to the AXBB and still nothing. I even ran new wiring from the step and direction ports on my driver to ports 9, 10 on the AXBB and I still get nothing. Like I said in my OP this is the second controller I have built for me with the AXBB, and every thing is the same. Power supplies, 32 bit dsp drivers and the motors are the same. The wiring is the same pins 1 to 4 are B-,B+,A-,A+ . I like the AXBB because of its simplistic design and straight forward connections. None of this makes sense. Thats why I am wondering if the board is bad or something broke loose in shipping from CNC4PC to me. I have full power green lights, no alarm lights, on the drivers and the board. I have checked the power to every thing, 48v to the drivers, 24v and 5v to the board. I have 2 solid state relays wired to 2 outputs, I can enter my M7 and M8 commands and they work. The E-stop works when pressed. But the motors not moving and something constantly triggering the emergency activation in Mach 3, something isn't right.
gills

Postby ger21 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:31 pm

When you try to move motors back and forth, are the LED's on the AXBB-E changing? You need to check voltages at the AXBB-E terminals to see if the AXBB-E is working correctly, then work your way down the chain to find the issue.
Make sure in Mach3 that the Estop port and pin are set to 0. If they are, you should not be having any Estop issues.
Gerry
ger21

Postby gills » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:38 pm

Just got dome time to work on it again, first on the LED lights, yes right from the first connection the 24V, ready, and the blue link lights were on solid even during attempted motor movements. All voltages, 24v 5v,were confirmed with my multimeter at the power input and the 5v output in port 1. Now to your suggestion of zeroing out the pin and port location on the e-stop did create some magic. Each motor and the slaved axis motors all turned on command. I even ran a short 3 minute test program and all motor axis turned when commanded without fail. So this confirms that all of the wiring from the AXBB to the motors is correct and communication is flowing through. So the question is how do I get my input items hooked up and keep the motor movement? I re -connected the e-stop and the motors shut down again. I zeroed out the e-stop pin and port again and the motors worked again. I appreciate your knowledge on this ger21. I didn't think about zeroing out the pin and ports.
gills

Postby ger21 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:11 pm

Try connecting the estop to a different input pin. If it still doesn't work, than my guess is there is noise triggering the input. Try the debounce setting in Mach3, and see if that helps. Or, try a capacitor on the input maybe?
Gerry
ger21

Postby gills » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:28 pm

@ger21 I will give it a shot, thank you. Just a random thought, the only other difference between my first unit and this one is the first one is in a steel case and i have this one in a abs plastic hinged case, and I used some plastic wire ducts as well. Just like the first build I used shielded cable from the controller connections to the drivers and from the drivers to the AXBB. Input and out puts are regular 20awg silicone covered wire.
gills

Postby ger21 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:03 pm

Shielded cables must be properly grounded, and you can't do that with a plastic case.
Gerry
ger21

Return to Mach3/4 Discussions