CNC Lathe Info

While UCCNC does not currently have a TURN Modual Here is the place to discuss your wants and wishes for TURN

Re: CNC Lathe Info

Postby Derek » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:59 am

cncdrive wrote:
I don't have my UC300ETH connected, but I have the UC300ETH plugin installed, and I don't see what you are seeing when I just tried the wizard.

If it is someking of Mach3 bug then it could be Mach3 version dependent. Maybe you have a different version of mach installed than what Derek has. I did not try the wizard yet though with any versions yet.

It happens when I install the plugin. Before no issues. This is on a clean Mach install version 3.043.062. For my particular lathe there really isn't any reason to run Mach and the UC-300. The PP/HDBB2 seems to working great. I don't seem to have any issues with single index threading. I have an extra UC-300USB and a copy of UCCNC so I thought It would be nice to have all my machines the same. The lathe is the last of my 5 machines that hasn't been converted from Mach.
Derek

Postby Vmax549 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 pm

With latest Version being able to LOCK teh toolpath view to one plane for turn it is one step closer to being usefull for turn.

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby asuratman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Vmax,
Do you think building cnc lathe using uccnc/ub1 will be easier than mach3/mach4 ?
asuratman

Postby Vmax549 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Balazs, If you remmeber I had a OEM trying to use Mach3 and teh UC400eth and there was a BUG in mach3 for threading that basically was not fixable.

I don't think it would take a lot to make a VERY BASIC turn modual. Just teh basics for now.

Teh toolpath just needs an internal centerline of X0 as a reference
Tool COMP XZ
Diam / Radius mode

I already have a turret tool changer that runs in UCCNC (;-)
I already have a M76 macro that does threading setup.
I could do a M77 macro for turn.
(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Battwell » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:20 pm

constant surface speed is a must - spindle speeds up as diameter decreases
Battwell

Postby Gary Campbell » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm

For my wood lathe project not so likely a must, but for metal, most assuredly so. Due to lathe specific approach/exit angles and the ability to define most lathe tooling, along with spindle encoder support, I have moved my lathe (one metal and this small one for wood over to Centroid Acorn control.
Gary Campbell
CNC Technology & Training
Control & ATC Retrofits
gcnc411(at)gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Gary Campbell

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:39 pm

Battwell wrote:constant surface speed is a must - spindle speeds up as diameter decreases

Only a must if you are doing a lot of facing. I do a fair amount of lathe work and I don't have a VFD so CSS is not an issue. Of course it would be best if it had CSS but for probably a lot of people it isn't a deal breaker. For me tool offsets are the only thing holding me up. Now that there is a tool table with Z and diameter I'm hoping someone with more smarts than me can leverage that into Z and X offsets.

I think everyone is going to have their own must have list. It works now if you reset your tools on every change and can work in radius mode.
Derek

Postby Vmax549 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Derek you COULD do like in teh old days for tool offsets use G52/92s that was long before tool comp.

You could set up teh M6 to handle that automatically.

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Derek » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:23 am

Vmax549 wrote:Derek you COULD do like in teh old days for tool offsets use G52/92s that was long before tool comp.

You could set up teh M6 to handle that automatically.

(;-) TP

I would have to touch off each time I changed tools though wouldn't I? That is a non starter for me.
Derek

Postby Battwell » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:50 am

on my biesse conversion i used g52 to offset its 33 different heads.( ie pre measured tooling) i entered their value in a macro- but could just as easily been done from a list of user text fields on screen. (ive used this for tool changer offsets while setting machines up)
Battwell

PreviousNext

Return to UCCNC TURN (CNC Lathe)